Translate

Saturday, September 25, 2021

WHEN AND WHY DID THE “MINISTERS OF LITURGICAL ENVIRONMENT” DECIDE IT WAS BEST TO CLUTTER SANCTUARIES WITH FLOWERS AND HIDE ALL THE LITURGICAL FURNISHINGS WITH THEM AND TO HAVE FREESTANDING CANDLESTICKS HEMMING IN THE ALTAR? WHEN AND WHY?

 

I was seduced by the post-Vatican II liturgical environmentalists to place tall candlesticks on the floor near or far from the altar and not having anything on the altar itself. Where did I get this? I know I didn’t become this creative on my own.

Now, after many years of rediscovering the genius of the pre-Vatican II altar arrangement, I have been converted to renounce my former ways. 

Gone from my parish church are the floor candles flanking the altar as though a casket in pre-Vatican II days. Gone to are floral arrangements placed directly in front of the altar or ambo. Of course, you never seen this done in front of the priest’s throne. 

Here are examples of post Vatican II liturgical environmentalists’ idea of good liturgical decorating:







My parish’s decorators have/had a tendency to plop down floral arrangements in front of the altar and ambo thus hiding these furnishings rather than highlighting them. I took these photos of floral and plant arrangements that highlight rather than obscure the altar and ambo and yet add living plants and flowers to the sanctuary:









5 comments:

John said...

Ostensibly, homosexuals are very good at decorating. They are everywhere in the Church. Everyone does what they do best.

ByzRus said...

Refreshingly less cluttered. The two bouquets flanking the tabernacle are sufficient as anyone beyond 10 rows back won't see any of what's on the floor anyhow. Noble, simple and elegant.

The one photo with the pillars, swags and candles is just not for me. Like a Hallmark card store display. I'm sure it was well received and meaningful to some but, it's just stuff...nothing but stuff plopped down. Don't even get me started on the vases of dead branches for lent accompanied by off center purple swags, the cornucopia of carrots and potatoes for Thanksgiving and the bow explosion for Christmas. Why not just a seasonal display in the vestibule to welcome those coming in and keep the holy place....well, holy. Obviously major holidays like Easter and Christmas get special treatment but, no fountains, rock formations, corn/potatoes/bales of hay, bows all over....It's tacky kitsch. Please, "Environment Committee", just stop. Think tasteful. Less is more.

ByzRus said...

Reflecting on the new arrangement (a nice way of saying I've been looking at the pics), your Church is beginning to find its soul. I'd be at peace with this much however, if it helps along enhancing/creating a true altar of repose, I can't see how anyone wouldn't be on board.

John Nolan said...

I believe that the practice of placing cross and candles on the altar dates from the early thirteenth century, so the reformers could argue that the 'modern' placement is the restoration of an earlier practice. Nothing, of course to do with giving the audience an unimpeded view of the actors in the (non-traditional) over-the-counter service.

As for sanctuary flowers, this custom must date only from the second half of the nineteenth century, as floristry only developed after 1850. I don't think anything should be placed in front of the altar, whatever the orientation.

ByzRus said...

John Nolan said
"I don't think anything should be placed in front of the altar, whatever the orientation."

Agree. I doubt there's a norm, otherwise the practice would not be so prevalent. Nothing should prevent the priest from approaching the altar.

The "over the counter" imagery perfectly summarizes my thoughts on one of the chief shortcomings of verses populum. Perhaps others share this view as well.