Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2023

IN THE DIOCESE OF SAVANNAH, THERE ARE ONLY FOUR PARISHES ON THIS LIST! AND GUESS WHAT? I WAS ASSOCIATED WITH EACH OF THESE PARISHES REVERENT CATHOLIC MASSES!


 I just saw a website for Reverent Catholic Masses on Fr. Z’s blog. When I looked at my diocese, The Diocese of Savannah, there are only four parishes listed and three of them I was pastor and one I was associate pastor and the Diocesan Master of Ceremonies/Director of Liturgy at the time and yes, I kicked the Masses both parish and pontifical into High Church when I was there from 1985 to 1991 and that tradition, by the grace of God, continued!

Here are the Diocese of Savannah parishes listed on the map:

Savannah, the Cathedral Basilica of St. John the Baptist (I was Associate pastor/mc there from 1985 to 1991)

Church of the Most Holy Trinity,Augusta,  ( I was pastor there from 1991-2004) Another parish in Augusta is listed but it is the Eparchy of Newton, Mass, Greek Catholic.

St. Joseph Church, Macon (I was pastor there from 2004-2016)

St. Anne Church, Richmond Hill (I was pastor there from 2016-2022)

Reverent Catholic Mass

Let Us Help You Find a Reverent Catholic Church Near You!

The site reads:

Trying to find a reverent Catholic Mass or acquire resources to grow personally and encourage your church to worship with reverence?

Reverent Catholic Mass will help you:

        • Locate Catholic churches near you that offer Mass with reverence.
        • Get inspired to work on your own spiritual life. Because you can’t give what you don’t have.
        • Discover ways to encourage more reverent church worship and pious devotions at your parish.
        • Tactfully motivate others to join the effort to reinvigorate your parish.We believe that with the right resources, every Catholic can join a supportive, reverent Mass community.

There is an interactive map available 

5 comments:

James E Dangerfield said...

I believe there are four such parishes in greater Charleston alone. And it’s so much better than it was thirty years ago. If you ever think things are bad now, I used to serve the Bishop of Charleston in a daggum coat and tie because the Cathedral parish didn’t have vestments for altar boys. Just before I aged out and went to college, we got to use the bells for the first time in my memeory and the bells had no cushion. I took a red throw pillow with a white lace trim off of my mother’s collection and I’m 95% cerium that thirty-two years later they still use it! Thanks be to God for the progress we’ve made since 1990. Deo gratias!

Donny Phister said...

It looks like two steps forward and two steps back for the "traditional" movement but nobody can deny that Summorum Pontificum left its mark. It forced many of the slouching parishes to address the wimpy liturgy. I witnessed major improvements at many parishes even though they disparaged the TLM - they tightened up the liturgy considerably.

rcg said...

Fr. McDonald, thank yuo and congratulations on this contribution. I make two observations. 1) how much did you have to do with instituting these Masses considering both the other involved Clergy and parishioners; and 2) why do you think they are still being offered today, even after your departure?

TJM said...

Congratulations!! The petty snarkster will be here soon to try and discredit you!

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I'd say the petty snarkster has already been here...