If a future pope would only go back to the original source for the modification of the Mass and other sacraments, what I would call a new “resourcement” perhaps we could actually enhance the 1962 Roman Missal in a way that Sacrosanctum asked.
1. It asked for “noble simplicity” and I continue to assert this applies more to the Pontifical forms of the Mass, not your typical Low, High and Solemn High Mass in rank and file mom and pop parishes.
2. It asked for some vernacular, but the preservation of Latin. This could be accomplished by mandating that in Sung Masses the propers be chanted Latin in simple or complicated tones but with the allowance of these in the vernacular in spoken Masses in which the laity could also recite the antiphons. Eliminate all the additional useless Eucharistic Prayers, and make the Roman Canon mandatory for Sundays, Solemnities and feasts. Keep Eucharistic Prayer III for daily Mass, funerals, etc.
3. It did not ask for a revision of the “Order of the Mass”
4. It did ask for more lavish use of Scriptures. My revision to the current modern lectionary would be to go back the the order of readings of the TLM, maintain the traditional lectionary as “Year A” and add two more years, “B and C” to follow what Sacrosanctum Concilium advocated. And insist that the propers never by substituted with some kind of metrical hymn as the propers are scripture and should be seen as a part of the Word of God at Mass.
5. Finally, a clarification of useless repetition needs to be made. Here Pope Paul’s Mass overdid it and then added an inane repetition with the multiple refrains of the Responsorial Psalm. I have already indicated how the Communion Rite (the Sacrificial Banquet) of the TLM could eliminate a useless double “Lord, I am not worthy” one for the priest’s communion and the other for the laity. This could be unified and not changing the order of the TLM’s Communion Rite beginning with the Pater Noster.
The other useless repetition is at the PATFOTA. Combine the Confiteors for the priest and servers into one recited Confiteor but make to other changes. The 1965 revision of the Roman Missal eliminated Psalm 42. That was dumb, since we need a lavish use of Scripture as Vatican II taught. All that needed to be cleaned up was the double Confiteor as I indicate below. Also, I add in the traditional Confiteor, “what I have done and what I have failed to do.”
PRAYERS AT THE FOOT OF THE ALTAR