Translate

Thursday, January 19, 2023

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN DENIED ABSOLUTION? WHAT PERCENTAGE OF PRIESTS DENY PENITENTS ABSOLUTION? HOW MANY CATHOLICS ACTUALLY PRESENT THEMSELVES FOR CONFESSION SO THAT THEY MIGHT BE DENIED ABSOLUTION? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW…


 I want to give Pope Francis the benefit of the doubt about the language it is reported that he used when he met with Spanish seminarians. You can read that story at the Catholic Herald HERE.

If the language issue is true, this is quite alarming and most priests would be reprimanded or worse if they used this kind of language at a religious gathering of college age parishioners. I can’t even imagine the rector of a seminary speaking this way to a gathering of seminarians who then would not be removed from his position. 

If true, there must be a cognitive or mental issue at work here related to rage and anger. If true, this is quite sad to say the least. 

But that’s another story for the Holy Spirit to work out. What about denying absolution to anyone and by extension, denying Holy Communion to anyone. The two are related, no?

I can only think of one time that I could not absolve but I did bless a penitent; one time in 43 years. Several years ago, even Pope Francis offered that solution in a situation where a priest could not absolve. 

Ultimately, if someone has made a “bad” confession, their bad confession invalidates any absolution I might give, no? 

Thus, I feel that if I give someone absolution who is yanking me around, that’s that person’s aggravated sin and God will have to deal with them on that, not me. 

The same with Holy Communion. Unless I know for sure someone should not receive Holy Communion, I offer the Sacrament if a person presents themselves for Holy Communion. If a person is totally out of it, doesn’t know how to receive and looks befuddled, I offer a blessing instead. But those are rare occurrences. 

There are some mortal sins reserved to the bishop and in the case of violating the Sacrament of Penance by telling specific sins of a specific person or absolving someone whose sin was with the absolving priest, that mortal sin is reserved to the pope.

So, is Pope Francis yacking too much about this. He condemns yacking quite often using the Italian word for it. I find that people who condemn people for this, that or the other, usually suffer from the same problem they condemn. Who knows?

8 comments:

TJM said...

The Pope spoke heresy, that is what is truly disturbing and no “cut and paste” defense replete with “holies” will change this.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the following offered by the Pope: During an audience with priests and religious:

The Pope said:

"When I was young I was rather more severe. I said: the sacraments are the sacraments of the faith, and when the faith isn’t there, where there’s not practice of the faith, the sacraments can’t be conferred."

"[I] have realized that we have to follow instead the example of the Lord, who was very open also with the people who were at the margins of Israel at that time."

"He was a Lord of mercy, too open — according to many of the official authorities — with sinners, welcoming them or allowing himself to be welcomed by them at their dinners, drawing them to himself in his communion."

=====================================================================================

By the way, the above was from Pope Benedict XVI, August 6, 2008 A.D.

Pope Benedict XVI had been asked "whether the sacraments should be denied to the children of those Catholics who do not practice their faith regularly:"

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

What Pope Benedict said is true and can be supported by the CCC. Giving absolution, though, as a matter of form to unrepentant sinners, who evidently make it clear to the confessor they are unrepentant, is quite different. God willing, Francis haters are saying he said this. Bu who knows?

Anonymous said...

A few days ago, I had read the story in question. But had not paid much attention to said story. Anyway, I had thought about Pope Benedict XVI's 2008 A.D comments about administering the Sacraments in broad, merciful fashion.

Father Lombardi said that Pope Benedict XVI had spoken "about the need to take a broad approach to the administration of sacraments, reflecting the merciful attitude shown by Christ.

https://thecatholicpost.com/2008/08/07/pope-tells-priests-to-be-generous-giving-sacraments-to-young-people/

“The pope said, ‘I used to be more strict about this, but the example of Christ led me to become more welcoming in cases in which, perhaps, there is not a mature and solid faith, but there is a glimmer, a desire of communion with the church,'” the priest said."

Anyway, Father McDonald, thank you for your response.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Jerome Merwick said...

¡Qué mierda! ¡No creo que el Papa usaría esas pinche palabras!

TJM said...

Jerome Merwick,

LOL - did you think we will now receive cut and pastes in Spanish?

TJM said...

Jerome Merwick,

I have been reading about the Avignon papacy - maybe the College of Cardinals need to review the procedures they used to depose the various claimants!

Mike Lutz said...

My Dad was a soldier in the WWII European Theater in a Port Battalion (basically a supply unit). He was stationed in Marseilles in December, 1944, when the Battle of the Bulge caused many logistics troops to be rushed forward. Having little training as infantry, they were essentially cannon fodder.

Fearing he'd be called to the front, Dad went to confession. But the Catholic Chaplain wouldn't absolve him because, as he told my Dad, "you're just afraid." My take - so what? Perhaps it wasn't perfect contrition, but Dad repented his sins and wanted to do penance.

Fortunately the call-up stopped one grade below him, so Dad made it home intact. He told me this story years later; I have to admit, I've been ticked off at that priest ever since.