Translate

Friday, March 1, 2019

THE RIGID PERSONALITY HAS NO MONOPOLY ON LIVING A DOUBLE LIFE! THE FLEXIBLE DO IT TOO!

From "The Spectator" My comments embedded in the text in red:

Will Cardinal Pell’s fall prompt soul-searching in the Catholic Church?


1 March 2019

I have heard surprisingly few Catholic responses to this week’s news of the conviction of Cardinal George Pell. I guess those who are not in denial are in shock. Let me interrupt the stunned silence with an outsider’s perspective.

This is not just another paedophile priest story – Pell was a key figure in the Vatican under the last three popes – and a major public face of the church’s moral conservatism. So will his fall bring a new level of Catholic soul-searching, a new critique of the Church’s entire moral culture? (No, but if the guilty verdict is valid because the cardinal is guilty, we must remember what Jesus said about the "Teachers of the Law"--listen to them but do not follow their example.)

Pope Francis himself often seems to call for such critique. Last week he warned against the potential dangers of moral rigidity, while speaking about the child sex abuse scandal in general. ‘Behind rigidity something always lies hidden’ he said. ‘In many cases, a double life’. (The Holy Father is not a theologian and certainly not a psycho analyst. Flexible people who abuse kids tells us of something hidden too!) It’s a line he has used repeatedly in the last few years – while upholding the Church’s moral teachings, he has urged priests to interpret them in a flexible, humane way. (I think the vast majority of priests and bishops have been over-indulgent with sinners in general in pastoral circumstances. As it concerns the priests guilty of sexual abuse, isn't the problem that of the 1970's of not reporting it to civil authorities, sending the offenders off the posh rehabilitation hospitals and reassigning them over and over without warning anyone about their proclivities? Isn't this a liberal or progressive issue????)

Some people will reply to this with annoyed bafflement – if the pope sees moral rigidity as dubious, shouldn’t he be in a different job? For surely priestly celibacy is a form of rigidity that has served as a cover for paedophilia? (Marriage does too!) It’s a bit like his oddly detached response when asked for his view on homosexuality: ‘Who am I to judge?’

To liberal Christians like me, it’s a bit dubious for the pope to play ‘good cop’ so charmingly. Roman Catholicism seems wedded to a flawed moral conservatism, and an excessive emphasis on rules. Surely Christianity emerged in opposition to rigid moral laws, we protest. (No! The laws are the foundation, the least you can do. Jesus' new law of "love" maintains the foundational but calls for perfection--maximum performance to use another term. Obligation is important, but also wanting to fulfill one's obligations is important too. It is both/and not either/or! The problem in the post-Vatican II Church is a contempt for law and a failure to follow the Church's canon laws and tribunal systems!)

But at the same time many of us are impressed by the intensity and commitment that this tradition fosters – the will to defy the comfy assumptions of secular culture.  Maybe liberal Christianity lacks the ballast and the backbone to survive. Maybe it has married the spirit of the age, and will end up a widow. Yes, that’s right – I am such a woolly liberal that I even wonder if I should be less of a woolly liberal. (Amen, brother!)

My point is that liberal Christians should admit to mixed feelings towards this grander, tougher tradition. Though we feel called to criticise its moral conservatism, and its aura of authority, which can lead to secrecy and cover-ups, we are also impressed – for here the Christian message is strongly expressed in a dynamic, engaging culture that reaches into all aspects of life. By contrast Protestantism is too abstract and wordy, too awkward about ritual, unsure how to distinguish itself from the culture around it. Its more liberal wing has lots of theoretical virtues, but it has not produced a robust new version of Christian culture. Until it does, our criticism should be nuanced. Ultimately my view on Roman Catholics is like the pope’s view on homosexuals – who am I to judge?

(The fear of scandal must be understood properly, public behavior that is sinful that leads to others wanting to imitate it. Thus a Catholic living a double life in a transparent way indicates to others this is just fine. In one sense it is better to keep it secret and only bring it to daylight when one repents.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

‘Behind rigidity something always lies hidden’

You comment, "The Holy Father is not a theologian and certainly not a psycho analyst..."

Well, someone who is an MD, a psychiatrist, writes in "Inflexible Behavior in Personality Disorders" - People hide parts of themselves through extremely rigid behavior." "...patients with personality disorders are very adept at acting in certain ways that may be a mask or cover-up of what they are really thinking, feeling or trying to accomplish." (David M. Allen M.D., Psychology Today, 1 February 2016)

I'm not saying that this applies to Pell or to anyone else who maintains the Church's teaching. I'm also not agreeing with the assertion that "Roman Catholicism seems wedded to a flawed moral conservatism."

But your dismissal of the Holy Father's comment is a little to flip and dismissive.

Anonymous said...

Bee here:

The writer of the article says, "Surely Christianity emerged in opposition to rigid moral laws..."

Ei. Yi. YIIIIIIIiiiii.....

I'm tempted to jump out of my chair! Really??? REALLY!!!! This is at the basis of what the liberal/progressive thinks? (That's a rhetorical question. I KNOW this is the basis of what they think.)

Here's their prayer life:

"Surely, Lord, you're not REALLY going to punish me for my "sins." I mean, what's a "sin" anyway? Actually, if I didn't KNOW it was a "sin," is it really a sin? I mean, who's to say what's a sin, and whether something is bad, given the various circumstances surrounding my actions? I mean, aren't we past that kind of relationship now? I'm an adult here, and really, to threaten to punish me is to diminish me as an adult. I really think I can make up my own mind about what's best. I am not a child, You know. And I think portraying You as having an authoritarian attitude is off putting, and I just know You would never judge my actions according to some outdated standards without seeing things from my point of view. After all, the world has changed. These are modern times. And it just irks me that some people in our Church act like Your judgement of me is strict and exacting and according to some old-fashioned and outdated "law", instead of easy-going and understanding and according to the modern day values." And so on.

Matthew 5:17-20
"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and so teaches others, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven."

The problem goes to the very core of belief. Theirs is the sin of Adam. This is the promise of Satan: "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” Genesis 3:5 Methinks they have eaten the apple.....


Ei. Yi. Yi.

God bless.
Bee

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

A @ 3:11, the Holy Father can have his opinions and opinions galore His Holiness has. I am not disputing that there are problematic rigid people who have personality disorders, but I am not the one to diagnose that. I do know that people prone to sin need crutches to keep from sinning again, like AA. Some rigid people really promote the truth because they need to hear it from themselves too.

Be that as it may, why just pick on the personality disorders of the rigid? The flexible have them too and are quite good at hiding their peccadilloes or living secretly what they actually believe, that you can get away with murder.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Be that as it may, I like flexible people over rigid one better but their sins I hate.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Let me put it another way, I knew one of our most notorious diocesan priests who was primarily an ephebophile but molested or raped 5th and 6th graders. He was in no way a rigid person in 1978 when he was ordained or in any way rigid in his ministry. He was a 1970's liberal and quite liberal in his preaching and beliefs. He was removed from ministry in 1988, removed from the clergy in 2004 and now is in prison and more than likely for the remainder of his life. But he wasn't rigid, let me assure you.

Catechist Kev said...

[sigh]

Once again, no mercy for "rigid" moralists.


rcg said...

Cardinal Pell is in prison right now because the Australian judicial system believes he molested a couple of boys. What are the facts? Should Catholic clergy be concerned that they will be imprisoned soley on accusation? I would not want an orthodox priest free any more than than a progressive one if they were guilty.

TJM said...

Catechist Kev sounds a lot like rigid Kavanaugh