Translate

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

NOW THIS IS THE HERMENEUTIC OF CONTINUITY!

Yesterday I went to visit one of our newly home bound members, a 94 year old. He lives with his nephew who normally takes him to Mass each Sunday, but the 94 year old hurt his leg and can't maneuver very well now.

They live about 40 miles from Macon in a small village, not really a village, of Hillsboro.

The same family has been on the same property since the late 1700's! The house I visited dates to 1817! In the 1950's they received electric service and put indoor plumbing! Keep in mind the nephew is of the same family who has lived there since the late 1700's!

The house today only has the indoor plumbing and electricity as the updates, plus an indoor kitchen. The detached kitchen which was common back in the day is still there but a separate bedroom today!

They have a family plot behind the homestead:
This is the backside of the house and the former detached kitchen which is now a detached bedroom!
This is the front of the house and no it is not for sale!
Sherman passed no more than a half mile from here in his burning rampage from Atlanta to Savannah!
On my way there, I saw a dear grazing on the narrow two lane road I was on at 2:30 PM in the afternoon, and as I turned down the dirt road to this house, a giant wild turkey ran in front of my auto, and not the kind your imbibe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh deer, there's one of those homophones again.

And what kind of auto do you imbibe?

Gene said...

Well, I have seen dear on that same road..I love a country girl...of course, only liberal women graze.
Actually, if you diagram that sentence, "turkey" is the antecedent of "imbibe." The construction may not be the best, but the modifiers are correct.

Joseph Johnson said...

My paternal grandmother (1910-2001) was reared in a house (the front part made of log in 1860) very similar to the one depicted in this post. It had an open breezeway (an open rear porch for a hall) with two bedrooms and a kitchen room in the back. My family still owns this property in Lanier County, Georgia.

Priests used to come for visits of a couple of days or so and say Mass for my great-grandparents (O'Brien) and their children (one of those children being my grandmother). I still have an 1856 Latin-English hand missal and a very large 1863 edition Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible which belonged to them.