Today Pope Francis opened His Holiness’ self-referential synod on synod, something that only the elitists in the Vatican are excited about and maybe those who get to travel to Rome to eat in its great restaurants while navel, or is it naval, gazing during this synod on synods—yes drink it in, synod on synods.
Pope Francis continually says that the clergy are clericalists and never listen to the laity. What planet or Church does the pope live on? Certainly His Holiness is clueless about the Church in the USA where the laity are practically running everything in the parish and most running things are women!
In all my parishes, I have had women principals and CCD directors and most of the teachers and catechists are women. The same with administrative staffs. And the backbone of the parish’s volunteers are women.
Women have been chairwoman of our pastoral and finance councils. We have no religious women on staff or teaching since there aren’t any to be had in our neck of the woods. Thus as a priest, I am in the minority. If not for the laity running things, things would not run!
Thus I ask again, where does this pope live and to what Church does His Holiness belong?
In terms of consulting the laity and listening to their concerns, I received these questions from an active parishioners just this morning. He gives me permission to print his questions to me anonymously. And yes, I will be meeting with him to discuss this—but what do I say????????
Father - Could we sit down and have. A discussion?
I am struggling with the leadership of our current Pope. He says one thing but does another and I am someone that believe actions are much more powerful than words. See the concerns I have below with Pope Francis:
1. He brought the Pachyma statue into the Vatican and laid at the altar of St. Peter. This was not recognized as being related to the church, but some sort of Amazonian deity? A prelate took it and appropriately tossed what certainly appears to be a false idol into the Tiber! This occurred in October 2019. The Pope “apologized for this misunderstanding”.
2. He has said he is against abortion and has written against it as you have pointed out, but he takes no actions to fight against . He has instead told the media in Ireland how wise their new PM is who was in office when they legalized abortion! He stands with our current President while he says that supposedly his bishops should be meeting with him to discuss his abortion advocacy? How long does this take to meet and say “you are advocating and aiding in the death of millions of lives” cease and desist or you can no longer receive the Eucharist? No, as both Cardinal Gregory who appears to be very radical and the bishop of Delaware continue to support him. Wouldn’t they be removed if they chose to refrain from this meeting? He also spurned Trump when he of any President was the firmest defender of the unborn, with Pence and Trump speaking against it, not that he is a saint by any means, but his actions were overwhelming correct in this area.
3. He issues edicts against homosexuality but meets and appoints very pro LGBTQ religious (e.g. Merrick and Martin) to very influential committees that say the contrary. He believes their should be homosexual civil unions? How does this relate to chastity being a virtue, and marriage being between a man and a woman?
4. He is pro vaccine and has mandated that all Vatican personnel receive it. Three Swiss guards resigned this week due to this policy. What about the moral issues associated with it or the right to chose. Shouldn’t he be with us on the long term effects or personal situation/choice?
5. He has allowed other religions to take positions that make the church look like we’re ceding to their positions on our faith for the sake of ecumenism?
6. He appears to be undertaking a concerted attack on the Latin mass and those that wanting it or have been. I understand that their have been certain religious groups some even cloistered Carmelites that have been removed from their convents where they held daily mass in Latin being their only affront…. He as I am sure you are well aware has bishops review and approve Latin masses and where and how often they can be said. Why?
7. He appears to be very aligned with liberal agenda’s pro climate change advocacy (the church stepping broadly in science?) beyond concern of the planet.
8. He appears to be pro socialism (beyond the above) and anti capitalism. Not that capitalism can’t be harmful or sinful, but socialism leads to communism and has never been enacted ideally as leaders of it are out to rule people’s lives. History backs this up.
9. He has essentially abandoned the Catholic Church in China when he ceded the ability to appoint bishops there instead allowing a communist country that is visibly anti Christian to pick their bishops! It has later come out that he MAY have made a mistake! Did the Chinese as they have with most countries including the USA bought this right in a deal as what motivation would he have to let them do this? Many there will likely suffer martyrdom and persecution for this error.
10. He has said openly he is concerned about the conservative religious factions in the Church. Why?
I don’t understand it and to me a lot of this is counter to church teachings. Can we talk about this?