Statistics don't lie:
- The Archdiocese of Freiburg is in the process of consolidating 1,057 parishes into 40.
- The Archdiocese of Utrecht, which had 355 parishes in 1965 and is down to 280 today, is cutting down to only 20 over the coming decade.
- The Diocese of Trier — the oldest in Germany — is consolidating 905 parishes into 35.
- The Diocese of Essen has reduced its parish count from 259 to 43.
- The Archdiocese of Luxembourg has reduced its parish count from 274 to 33.
- The Archdiocese of Berlin is reducing its parish count from 105 to 30 by 2020.
If the Church is supposed to withdraw from the world, then her liturgy must do the same, pointing us to heavenly realities that abide forever.