Translate

Friday, November 4, 2022

THE SILENT ROMAN CANON AND THE WAY TO SHORTEN IT TOO, IN THE MODERN ROMAN MISSAL


On All Souls’ Day, I posted a video of a 2014 Modern Roman Missal Mass at St. Joseph Church in Macon. The choir did an excellent job with Faure’s Requiem which was sung at a Sunday Mass as the 2nd fell on a Sunday in 2014.

I was astounded to see how much hair I had then.

But I digress:

I noticed that the Mass was a hybrid of Latin and English. However, I noticed too, that I prayed the Roman Canon silently for the first half. Yes, you read the correctly! I prayed the Roman Canon silently its first half only, as the choir was singing the Faure Sanctus! Yes! I did that!!!!

As the choir began the Faure Sanctus, I said the Sanctus to myself and launched into the revised Modern Missal version of the Roman Canon in Latin as the choir sang. I stopped prior to the “Hanc Igitur” to allow the choir to finish. Then the rest of the Roman Canon, I prayed out loud. Yes, I did that!

Interestingly, the laity remained standing until the end of the Sanctus as is the custom with the Modern Mass and knelt for the “Hanc Igitur” when the choir finished. (In Canada and Europe, the laity remain standing for the first part of each Eucharistic Prayer and then kneel for the invocation of the Holy Spirit and consecration and then stand again for the Mystery of Faith). 

As I watched the 2014 Mass, I realized that the silent canon increases the mystical experience of the Mass.

But more importantly, to sing the Sanctus as the first part of the Roman Canon is recited in low voice by the priest, shortens the prayer.

Thus there is no need to use the ever so-short Eucharistic Prayer II as is the case today with priests who think the Roman Canon is too long but not their 30 minute rambling homily.

Mystical experience anyone? The quiet Roman Canon, at least for the first part!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Father McDonald said..."I was astounded to see how much hair I had then."

Father McDonald, you only imagine that you had more hair then.

That was eight years ago. Your eyesight has worsened.

:-)

Pax.

Mark Thomas

TJM said...

There is an excellent explanation of the theology of the Roman Canon in The Once and Future Roman Rite.

The fixation with reciting the Roman Canon in an audible voice is ludicrous - the text is readily available - or should be.

A priest friend who spoke 6 languages and taught homiletics stated that for a parish Mass the homily should be 5-7 minutes because after that time your audience will tune you out because you are likely repeating yourself

TJM said...

Mark Thomas is sounding more and more like Father K

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

A well-crafted homily does not include needless repitition and can easly last longer than 7 minutes.

Too many priests, I fear, put little time, for a variety of reasons, into homily preparation. Some, realizing that they are not particularly gifted in the area of public speaking, do spend sufficient time reflecting on the readings, consulting commentaries, and considering the needs of the community to which they will be delivering their message. Some, knowing that they can be unnecessarily long-winded, understand that they need to tailor their presentations.

One of the most amazing homilies I have heard was preached by Rev. Fleming Rutledge in our cathedral in Savannah during the service we held commemorating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Rev. Rutledge is a widely respected author and teacher of homiletics. Her sermon can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIGTfvjA9bA&t=43s

TJM said...

Fr K,

Do you speak 6 languages and have you taught homiletics?

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I speak one language very well and one moderately well, as if that mattered.

Yes, I have taught homiletics.

TJM said...

Fr K,

Actually it does matter. My priest friend was obviously much more educated than you in languages and taught homiletics at a major seminary for over 30 years while helping local parishes on Sunday. When you have those kind of credentials I might take your statements a bit more seriously

Anonymous said...

I appreciate greatly the "silent" Roman Canon. Father McDonald, I agree that the silent Canon enhances the mystical experience of the Mass...that's the case for me.

I believe as well that the prayers of the Roman Canon are, if you will, so profound and powerful, that it is of great spiritual benefit (at least to me) to offer the Canon aloud.

Whatever Holy Mother Church determines is fine with me.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Anonymous said...

Fathers McDonald, and Kavanaugh, what are the shortest homilies that you have offered?

Thank you.

====================================================================================

I assisted at a Mass during which the priest offered a homily that lasted about 20-seconds.

I will never forget that homily.

That was as memorable and powerful a homily that I have ever heard.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

William said...

Catholic preaching is generally lousy simply because clergy are badly (if at all) trained in seminary. They do not know how to organize and deliver a brief, cogent "explication de texte." In this day and age, Fr. K., holding a congregation's attention longer than seven minutes is the province of miracle workers.