Translate

Friday, March 9, 2018

OOPS! I JUST MADE A LITURGICAL MISTAKE BUT IT MAKES SENSE TO ME BUT IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN


I just celebrated our 9 AM daily Mass. I always begin Mass by reading the Introit in the Missal and then the Sign of the Cross, greeting, introduction to the Penitential Act and on to the Collect.

But this morning I had a "senior" moment and forgot to read the Introit. As soon as I started with the Sign of the Cross, I realized what I had done, so I read the Introit after the Sign of the Cross, but then had another "senior" moment and forgot to greet the people. I only use the "The Lord be with you" version as I find the other versions redundant of the Sign of the Cross.

So I launched into the Introduction to the Penitential Act, said the Confiteor/absolution and Kyrie.

Then I said, "The Lord be with you" and "Let us Pray" and prayed the collect.

Of course, this is the traditional of the Introductory Rite of the Mass (which Anglicans and Lutherans still use). Shouldn't that be restored some day?

11 comments:

rcg said...

Libertine!!!

TJM said...

My God, is Kavanaugh rubbing off on you!

ByzRus said...

Compared to others, this is 'light touch'. No need to turn your card in. So long as you got the words of concentration right.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

That's my problem, concentration!

Anonymous said...

On rare occasions at my parish in 30327, the priest has forgotten the Creed on Sundays! Or a lector has mispronounced a hymn title, like saying "Crown him with many thorns" (instead of "Crowns") or "There is a wilderness in God's mercy" (as opposed to there is a "wideness"). One recent reading, a lector said to avoid immortality (as opposed to avoiding "immorality"). I think we will all be successful at avoiding immortality on this earth, but of course want immorality in heaven!

ByzRus said...

Consecration, not concentration. Commenting on my phone gets me every time. Several days of no power up here in the Northeast!

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

Once at Holy Spirit, Macon, I forgot to light the candles before mass. As we progressed and it came time for the Gospel, I explained that the Church, on the feast of the Annunciation, follows the ancient tradition of lighting the candles at the beginning of the Gospel to note the coming of Christ, the Light, into the womb of Mary.....

And them I promptly told them I had just forgotten and made the story up on the spot.

Adam Michael said...

I like that one, Fr. Kavanaugh!

John Nolan said...

This, from the Oxford Oratory (no less) on Advent I in 2017. The choir had rehearsed a polyphonic Mass. After the Kyrie the cantor intoned 'Gloria in excelsis Deo' for the celebrant to follow. The celebrant (a priest of the London Oratory) was on the horns of a dilemma. He could have simply sung 'Oremus' sufficiently loudly as to have jolted the choir director out of his mistake. But this might not have worked. Instead he followed the intonation and we had an illicit Gloria. At least the flow of the liturgy was not interrupted, but there were a few furrowed brows among the congregation!

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

Our choir master (a former professional opera tenor) in college always said, "If you make a mistake, make it with conviction!"

John Nolan said...

I once heard, at the conclusion or a sung Preface 'cumque omni malitia caelestis exercitus'. Oops!