Translate

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

LIKE JESUS CHRIST, THE SOUTH HAS ARISEN OR AT LEAST THE TWO GEORGIAS!

Diocese of Savannah third year seminarian Jason Adams reads the second reading at the almost at Midnight Christmas Mass at St. Peter Basilica with Pope Benedict. The deacon who sang the Gospel was from the Archdiocese of Atlanta. The Holy Father must have had "Georgia on My Mind!"


In 1999 I visited the Church of the Most Holy Trinity's sister parish in Tblisi, the Republic of Georgia. One of the parishioners at the Latin Rite Catholic parish of Saints Peter and Paul (never shut down by the Soviets) gave me a tour of this magnificent city in his brand new Nissan. He had the radio on to a local Tbilisi station and one of the songs that just happened to come on was "Georgia on My Mind" by Ray Charles. All of the Tblisi passengers in the car including the driver thought this song was about their "Georgia!" I had to set them straight on the matter of course.

When I was in elementary school in Augusta, Georgia, our teacher would make a big deal out of the fact that there was yet another Georgia in the Soviet Union. From that day forward I had a longing to see this other Georgia and what Augusta would look like there! Little did I know that in 1999 I would go. I didn't find Augusta, but I did find a wonderful place!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the state of Georgia. My daughters were named for specific historical or familial persons, Victoria, Georgia, and Josephine. We were discussing several alternatives for the name the second child and the tune, 'Georgia on My Mind' came on the radio and the pleasant memories sealed the deal.

rcg