Translate

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

TO WATCH OR NOT TO WATCH; THAT IS THE QUESTION…

 Folklore indicates that deacons, priests and bishops, should not wear watches when they celebrate Mass. I remember hearing that a few times over the years, but I have never seen any rubric in either the TLM or MVM to indicate that the any clergy during Mass should remove his watch, or to be politically correct, their watch.


I always thought, though, that the reason was particularly important at the elevations of the Mass, so that the jewelry of the priest does not distract from the Sacramental Real Presence of the the Lord under the Sacred Species. 

I have never removed my watch to celebrate Mass. It may not have been on my wrist, I like my right wrist, btw, as it is the right wrist for a watch, because I forgot to put it on.

But even worse for me, is a priest who wears rings on his fingers, unless of course, he is married, like former Episcopal priests and Orthodox priests who are received into the Full Communion of the Church of Jesus Christ. In fact, I think rings, apart from the liturgical and ecclesiastical ring of a bishop, should bring a censure to the cleric, maybe even excommunication. 

But here is the best reason I have read why a cleric, should not wear a watch at the Celebration of the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Altar:

One of the first things I teach ordinandi is that they should always take off their watch before celebrating any liturgy. A watch not only manifests personal style but also binds us to time. The worship of God should not be time-bound and time should not be a distraction for the celebrant. I never would have allowed this. (Admitting, of course, problems with other aspects of this liturgy more significant than this watch.) I noticed King Charles did not wear a watch. Surprisingly, did. Surely, the Brits have a protocol for this.

12 comments:

rcg said...

I have arrended Mass where the priest wore a watch that sounded an alarm.

James E Dangerfield said...

What’s “politically correct” is grammatically incorrect. It’s always “his” watch that should be removed. And as for a woman celebrant? I assume anything goes in such a farce.

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I always wear my watch and it is never a distraction, nor does it make me feel "time-bound," a suffering that seems to afflict Fr. Thomas.

What DOES distract me is forgetting my watch which rarely happens.

Fr Martin Fox said...

Readily conceding it is a fine point, I agree that a watch is better left off one's wrist, unless there truly is a need for the celebrant to keep track of the time; for example, if he is leading a Holy Hour and needs to know when the hour is drawing to a close.

Now let me react to the Archbishop of Canterbury's carrying out of the coronation. Overall, it was impressive; however, I think he missed the chance to do a bit more. Apart from the watch: for heaven's sake, wear a cassock and surplice! Or, if you must wear an alb, wear something rather nicer than that plain thing, and use an amice, so we don't see the cheap tab-collar clerical shirt. If the coronation of the King is not a special enough occasion to wear really good stuff, then what would be?

John Nolan said...

Early in his reign JP II was spotted wearing a stainless steel digital wristwatch. As I understand it, the protocol is that a cleric should not wear anything that might be considered a personal adornment - this would rule out a moustache, which is an adornment with military connotations, but not a full beard.

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

Watches are not commonly considered adornments any more than shoes, and I have never encountered any "protocol" that speaks to them.

Moustaches in American culture are not "adornments" any more than hair on the head is an adornment. While they may have been required in the British armed forces in order to appear more "virile" or "manly," I have not encountered anyone who thinks they have "military" connotations

Mark said...

Whenever anyone asks me about my moustache, I just explain that I had a bad blade that morning.

rcg said...

I have always liked pocket watches because my lifestyle is hard on wrist watches. I also know that the wristwatch does bring a third party to the meeting and will remove mine to prevent accidentally looking at it and implying my counterpart is not paramount during that moment in time. An adornment is simply something that is there to enhance appearance. Hair is made an adornment by upkeep or it becomes a detraction.

William said...

Fr. K, ("I have not encountered anyone who thinks they have "military" connotations") Try encountering the Amish or the Mennonites.

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

William - Cool. I did not know that about Amish facial hair!

Anonymous said...

I recall that certain Catholics were horrified that Pope Saint John Paul II had worn a wristwatch.

Pax.

Mark Thomas

Joseph Johnson said...

I own several pocket watches, both antique and modern, and wear one to work every day. The only problem with them is that when I buy a new pair of khakis or dress pants I have to get a watch pocket added along the waistband seam (those used to be standard). I have tried wristwatches but find myself taking them off because they annoy me.