Translate

Tuesday, March 14, 2023

EVEN THIS CAN BE REVERENT KNEELING DOWN AND OTHER ODDS AND ENDS

 This is my former parish where I removed the altar railing in 2004 and restored it in 2014. Communion is distributed at the altar railing’s full length at all Masses. Communicants may stand if they so desire and they may, as is liturgical law, receive in the hand or on the tongue. 

And I have a question about the Sacrament of Penance. In all my parishes since 1980, some people when they make their confession recite the “Act of Contrition” to begin their Confession. They are in the minority but that is what they do.

I recall in the transitional era with the changes in the Sacrament of Penance’s format, we were told that you should say the Act of Contrition before Confession. As a teenager, I took that to mean that you prayed the Act of Contrition prior to entering the confessional, I mean, and forgive me, the room of reconciliation. 

Perhaps I misunderstood and I was suppose to pray it after I entered whatever you want to call it?

At any rate, this novelty was short-lived as in short order we were told, once again, to pray the Act of Contrition in its traditional place, after the priest gave you your penance. 

But some must not have gotten the update around 1970 or so. 

No comments: