Translate

Sunday, March 5, 2023

WEARING MY COLLAR WHILE FLYING!

 Over the years I have seldom flown with my clerical collar. But the last two times, my current trip and at Thanksgiving to Newark, I have. And I have had non stop conversations with perfect strangers.

I just spoke to distraught parents who just left their son in a Catholic drug rehabilitation place in St. Augustine. At 21 he’s had major drug issues and rehabs. His usage includes fentanyl! He’s one of 7 kids. His name is Jude! Pray for him and his family.


4 comments:

James E Dangerfield said...

It puts you “on duty” maybe when you’d like to not be so engaged; however, wearing clerical attire is a form of witness in and of itself. Just seeing you can cause a fallen away soul to accidentally pray, and you know that’s a slippery slope! Wear your costume as much as you can stand it. And sometimes don’t wear it When YOU need a rest.

Sophia said...

Sophia here: I am so happy that you have begun to wear it, Father. I agree with James, I like priests to witness publicly, although that can also put them in danger.
I shall definitely pray for Jude and his family. May he not only make it through residential treatment this time but also continue in aftercare to maintain his recovery. Thanks be to God, he is still alive!

rcg said...

I am always happy to see a priest in collar when I travel. I also have to fight the urge to speak to him, if only to share a quick blessing and thanks for his service, knowing that he has the other 208 passengers lined up to speak as well.

Tom Makin said...

I can't tell you much of a difference seeing a Priest or Religious in Habit makes when I am traveling. It does cause me to pause and pray and I truly believe it is this witness, particularly with Religious, that is driving so many vocations in that direction (Dominicans (OP) for example). Keep doing it. It makes a difference!