Translate

Thursday, December 20, 2012

IS DECEMBER 21ST THE END OF THE WORLD?


Yes, as it is the beginning of my final year of my 5th decade. So sure that tomorrow, December 21st would not exist, the breakfast club of 8:00 AM daily Mass goers, took me to breakfast this morning to celebrate my 59th birthday which is tomorrow. Of course there won't be a tomorrow and they know it. So kind of them to think of me in this way!

But if I had turned 60 years old tomorrow rather than next December 21st which won't come, thanks be to God, tomorrow certainly would be the end of the world beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Oh, and by the way, I intentionally scheduled our Advent Penance Service for tonight, knowing that tomorrow won't come and the world will end. I just pray that my parishioners saw my foresight in scheduling confessions tonight and that they show up before it is too late! We want to be found worthy for the Last Judgment. I wonder what time it will take place on the 21st? At the stroke of midnight or at 3:00 PM Friday afternoon to tied into the hour of the death of our Lord on the cross on Good Friday? Or will it begin at 12 noon? If that's the case, then maybe I can celebrate my 59th birthday tomorrow before it all happens.

10 comments:

Pater Ignotus said...

One's 59th birthday is the beginning of one's 60th year! Enjoy!

Rood Screen said...

Happy Birthday!
I don't believe any of this end-of-the-world nonsense, but I'm holding off on doing laundry and grocery shopping, just in case.

Kent G. Hare said...

... and thus turning 59 is the beginning of the last year of your sixth decade. Nonetheless, enjoy it!

Henry Edwards said...

If we don't see a Southern Orders post this Saturday morning, I think we can infer that the world very likely did indeed end on December 21.

Nate said...

Well Father, the Mayan ruins are located in the Central Time Zone, so nothing would happen until after 1AM...but that also means we shouldn't let our guard down until after 1AM on Saturday morning! :-D

Unknown said...

Quite simply put, NO.

That is all.

Anonymous 2 said...

Yes, Happy Birthday!

If the end of the world_does_occur tomorrow, I am planning to take Saturday off and go to the movies.

John Nolan said...

When dealing with something as important as the end of the world, God would of course use Greenwich Mean Time.

Gene said...

I'm sure the liberal media would announce it thusly:
"World to end tomorrow. Women and minorities hit the hardest."

Anonymous 2 said...

John: On this Blog, as the comment following yours demonstrates so well, GMT stands for Gene Mean Time. (Sorry, Gene, I couldn’t resist; the lace on my panties is irritating me =)).

BTW, are we still here?