Translate

Saturday, April 29, 2023

MASS ETIQUETTE…

 These 10 points are good. I would add an 11th: Don’t clip your nails during the priest’s homily. Yes, when I was stationed at the cathedral someone did that as I preached my, stunning as usual, homily!

Today’s rule on fasting prior to Mass is truly infantile and absurd. Back in the day, when we children were men, our fast was three hours before Mass and no water as my parched memory recalls. My parents, truly giants, had to fast from midnight until Mass. Those were the days of heroes and saints who no longer exist. Today we are all snowflakes.

Should we post this in the narthex of our churches? Do those communities that celebrate the TLM need such reminders?



6 comments:

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

We had a nail-clipper in the old, echoey church at St. James. I would just STOP what I was doing and wait....

Catechist Kev said...

Oh my goodness, Fr K. 🤨

I can’t believe someone would do that during Holy Mass. I guess that beats chewing them!

Yvonne said...

Bow is the norm when passing in front of the tabernacle?

Jerome Merwick said...

#8 is a big one for me. I am sick to death of listening to inane chatter in the church that could surely be saved for the vestibule. Then again, it's just a reflection of what most Catholics today truly are--Protestants.

ByzRus said...

Genuflect. I understand the sentiment but, those with knee replacements generally are never allowed to kneel. I guess do what you can and substitute another reverence where you cannot.

Please be quiet. I used to see this family that didn't live together occupy 2 pews and yap from the moment their holy fannies hit them well into mass. Go to breakfast and yap. Consider a phone call. Text. Important: None were that interesting and they certainly weren't brokering a peace deal with the North Koreans.

Don't leave early. Some might have to for jobs etc. The mass exodus, I doubt it. Such bad manners just so many won't have to wait in line at the local breakfast place.

Nail clipping. Why am I not surprised as, anymore, people are apt to do whatever they want whenever they want. Nasty. Take care of hygiene behind closed doors please.

Thomas Garrett said...

What about leaving AFTER the final blessing before the final hymn ends.

I've done that many times. The music is just unbearable.

'How can I keep from barfing?"