Translate

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

INSTITUTIONAL PRIVATE PRAYERS OF THE PRIEST DURING THE HOLY SACRIFICE OF THE MASS IS NOT CLERICALISM IN THE NEGATIVE SENSE...BUT AD LIBBING DURING THE MASS IS THE MOST PERNICOUS FORM OF CLERICALISM AND ASSOCIATED NOT WITH THE TLM BUT THE MRM!


When I began to celebrate the TLM in 2007, I began to realize how enriching and rich this form of the Mass is for the personal faith of the priest and his own liturgical spirituality. Much of this came from the personal, quiet or private prayers of the priest prescribed by the 1962 Roman Missal.

The 1970 and its latter concoctions of the Modern Roman Missal expunged most of the private prayers of the priest at Mass. 

In my most humble opinion, I think that ridding the missal of prayers geared to enhance the faith of the priest in the sacred actions of the Mass has led to a virulent form of clericalism where during the Mass, the priest thinks it is all about him, his actions and ad libbing. 

This specifically refers to self-referential comments after the greeting of the Mass and non prescribed liturgical actions that draw attention to the priest rather than the sacred rites. There is a narcissistic need to be the priest who is the most friendly, inviting, inclusive by the things he does that aren't prescribed and other priests don't do. Thus this form of clericalism is truly pernicious and malforms the laity who either endure it or are entertained by it and thus like it based upon its entertainment value and that the priest in their eyes and ears is so personal with the such a human touch.  

These are the private, silently prayed prayers of the priest no longer included in any version of the Modern Roman Missal:

As the priest ascends the altar

Take away our sins, we pray you, O Lord, so that  with pure minds, we may worthily enter the holy of holies. Through Christ our Lord.

He kisses the altar and prays:

We beg you, O Lord, by the merits of your saints whose relics are here, and of all the saints to grant me forgiveness of all my sins. Amen.  

 Prayer before the Gospel

(This prayer is horribly shortened in its modern infestation.)

Cleanse my heart and my lips, almighty God, as you cleansed the lips of the prophet Isiah with a burning coal. In your mercy so cleanse me that I may worthily proclaim your holy Gospel. through Christ our Lord. Amen Bless me, O Lord. The lord be in my heart and on my lips, that I may worthily and fittingly proclaim His gospel Amen.

The Offertory Prayers 

(The lavabo prayer has been horribly truncated.)

I wash my hands in innocence, and I go around your altar, O Lord, giving voice to my thanks, and recounting all your wondrous deeds. O Lord, I love the house in which you dwell, the tenting-lace of your glory. Gather not my soul with those of sinners, nor with men of blood my life. On their hands are crimes, and their right hands are full of bribes. But I walk in integrity; redeem me, and have pity on me. My foot stands on level round; in the assemblies I will bless the Lord. Glory be to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and every shall be, world without end. Amen. 

The prayer to the Holy Trinity (Suscipiat) prior to the Orate Fratres

 (This prayer is removed in the Modern Missal)

Receive, O Holy Trinity, this offering which we make in remembrance of the passion, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ, our Lord; and in honor of Blessed Mary, every Virgin, Blessed John the Baptist, the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, of these saints whose relics are on this altar and of all the saints; that it may add to their honor and aid our salvation; and may they be pleased to intercede in heaven for us who honor their memory here on earth. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. 

 Prior to consuming the Most Precious Blood.

What return shall I make to the Lord for all that he has given me? I will take the chalice of salvation and invoke the Name of the Lord. I will call upon the Lord in praise, and I shall be saved from my enemies.

The cleansing of the chalice, second prayer

(This prayer has been removed from the Modern Missal but is said after the second cleansing of the chalice with water and wine, also used to cleanse the priest's digits.)

May your Body, O Lord, which I have eaten, and your Blood which I have drunk, cleave to my very soul. Grant that no stain of sin may be left in me, now that I am refreshed by this pure and holy  Sacrament. You who live and reign forever and ever. Amen.

Prayer to the Holy Trinity prior to the final blessing

(This prayer has been removed in the Modern Missal.)

May the homage of my service be pleasing to you, O Holy Trinity. Grant that the sacrifice which I, unworthy as I am, have offered in the sight of your majesty, may be acceptable to you, and through your mercy may it be an atonement for me and for all those for whom I have offered it. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. 

5 comments:

ByzRus said...

Careful, Fr.

Your commentary is coming perilously close to being "satanic", against the holy mass of Paul VI and out of step with the Holy Father, who is guided in all things by Holy Spirit.

ByzRus said...

This is a post that I truly understand.

Before, during and after Divine Liturgy, our priests continues praying private/low voice prayers, much similar to these. In fact, my priest has several times woven these prayers into his reflections so we are aware of his actions and words, their meaning and how the part relates to the whole. To say the priest is busy during this is an understatement. It adds such depth and richness that is evident to those participating, however.

Tom Makin said...

I have been attending daily mass at a local parish and have noticed something very annoying:

After the initial blessing, the priest gives everyone a "preview of coming attractions", basically what the Gospel will say. He then reads the Gospel and delivers a short, appropriate Homily. After the prayer after communion, before the final blessing, we get a little epilogue or re-cap, then the final blessing. Why all the ad hoc commentary? So annoying and not very reverent.

TJM said...

ByzRus,

LOL - satanic only in the useful idiot’s mind. Ad libbing is also a violation of Vatican II!

TJM said...

Tom Makin,

He must feel his congregation are a bunch of dullards.