Translate

Saturday, March 5, 2022

A CHERRY BLAST FROM THE PAST: MACON’S CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL

 Macon’s Cherry Blossom Festival takes place (except during a pandemic) toward the middle of March and is a ten day event. Visitors from all over the world come to Macon for the many activities including tours of my former parish, St. Joseph Church. 

The last Sunday of the Festival, the day of the parade, dignitaries, including politicians and celebrities would attend religious services in different places in Macon and St. Jospeh hosted this event a few times when I was there. And by happy coincidence this Mass fell on Laetare Sunday, when much to the delight of festival goers, I would wear pink vestments, the color of the Cherry Blossom Festival. Of course, I had to tell them my vestments were not pink nor for the sake of the Festival, but are “rose” in color and for the 4th Sunday of Lent! They didn’t buy it, though.









2 comments:

rcg said...

I’ve always liked these photos. Where if David these days?

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

He is parochial vicar of St. Francis Xavier in Brunswick, GA.