Translate

Thursday, March 17, 2022

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT: WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO? OH WHAT AM I TO DO?

 My V6 2012 Murano with almost 200,000 miles on it...

The bottom picture below is my 2012 Murano in January of 2016 when I ran into the back of a reinforced bumper of a tall Ford pickup truck which also happened to be an unmarked sheriff deputy’s truck in Estill, South Carolina. He was the only auto on the road in this Mayberry kind of small town and I managed to slam into the back of him. My car suffered $14,000 in damages and if the air bags had deployed, which they didn’t, the insurance company would have totaled my poor Murano. 

The first photo above is its miraculous recovery and healing. And there are no residue side effects from the damage. It rides like new and still does to this day with almost 200,000 miles on it. 

But now is the time for me to trade it in. Since I’ve had this car through thick and thin for ten years and I love it and am experiencing separation anxiety as I contemplate trading it in.  I had planned to get a 2022 Murano. But now that gas prices for regular are over $4 a gallon, and the new V6 Murano gets about 28 miles per gallon highway, I am wondering if I should get the smaller SUV, the Rogue. 

But it is smaller. And this 1960’s muscle car enthusiast is having a hard time psychologically downsizing from a V6 Murano to a more technologically sophisticated Rogue which has a 3 cylinder engine but turbo charged and delivering 201 horsepower! I would be embarrassed to tell someone my car is a 3 cylinder! But it gets 38 miles to the gallon highway!

And just when I thought I had convinced myself to get the Rogue over the Murano, I saw that the gas tank access is on the passenger side of the car whereas the Murano has it on the driver’s side. I just can’t imagine it on the passenger side. I can’t wrap my brain around that. I have never had a car with the access on the wrong side!

Thus I think I will get the Murano. Is it the right decision for me. And the driver’s seat has a great deal of legroom more so than the Rogue. I have a bit of claustrophobia in terms of my legs hitting the door and center console which doesn’t happen in my Murano! 

What to do! What to do? O what am I to do?



7 comments:

ByzRus said...

I have a Mustang and an F-150 4X4 that I regularly drive the 21 miles to my office. My Explorer had a V8, probably got 12 miles per gallon but drove like a scorched cat and I loved every mile of it. I just filled it up as I do my current vehicles. It's what works for me. You have to decide the same.

TJM said...

Well Mayor Pete, our Transportation Secretary, says you can fight high gas prices by using “public transportation!” Just another credentialled idiot with contempt for the working class

rcg said...

The smaller engine and turbo is nice if you drive at a steady, moderate speed. Otherwise, you have push the engine to higher output where it is much less efficient than a larger engine.

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

My 2018 Subaru Impreza get 34 mpg around town. Last fall on vacation, I got to 41.1 mpg on the longer interstate drives.

As for the gas filler... "Current regulations demand the filler be at the widest part of a car, inboard of any crumple zones, and safe from dripping onto any hot exhaust bits or electrical wiring. This generally means the filler needs to be on one or the other sides of the car, and relatively near the passenger compartment." Interesting.

The Impreza is the first I have had with the gas filler on the passenger side. Even after almost four years AND with the little arrow on the gas guage telling me it is on the right, I still pull up on the wrong side of the pumps now and again.

rcg said...

I love my Subaru Legacy. Gets OK mileage if I can keep my foot out of it.

Sophia said...

Sophia Here: Before I weigh in on this, Father, I must warn you-this is not my area of expertise. Cars are totally outside my field. However, I do know more than a little about people. So I highly recommend that you get another Murano Father-you love it, it loves you and you ought to be comfortable and safe during this prime time of your life. Pulling a muscle -or worse- in your back, hip or leg is not worth the money you save on gas. Besides after I read what you wrote in yesterday's blog entry, I know that your parishioners cannot afford to have such a great shepherd indisposed for any length of time. So for that last reason alone, the Murano is the right choice. I know how devoted you are to your parishioners!

TJM said...

Father McDonald,

Another non-scientific reason. Each time you drive your Murano you will think of Murano glass!