Of course since I don’t have a brain, I don’t know! But somehow I can’t help but thinking this might help! —Scarecrow, The Wizard of Oz
There are many reasons why people, young, middle age or old, are leaving the Church. The Church's credibility is shot because of the sex abuse scandal, a scandal that is like the energizer bunny, it keeps on going!
Thus who wants to be a part of a Church whose leaders are so corrupt to have tolerated the kind of mercy shown to abusers while neglecting the abused and thus perpetuating the abuse? I don't. It's disgusting.
But let's keep in mind what brought about this sad state of affairs, mercy, unbridled mercy and the thought that the Church could stop abuse through therapy and reintegration, accompanying the abuser and giving him as many chances as possible to get his act together. It is kind of like Pope Francis' view of mercy and what the Church can do, like stopping climate change through human initiative.
Be that as it may, how can we keep people from leaving the Church even though so many of her leaders are clueless and corrupt?
This is my opinion:
1. Shift faith away from bishops and priests and their charisma to Jesus Christ and His Splendor of Truth that calls sin, sin and to go and sin no more.
2. Teach that the Catholic Church is the True Church founded by Jesus Christ and the gates of hell shall not prevail against her.
3. Recover Pope Benedict's vision for the liturgy and give young people an energetic experience of the Mass and the Church's popular devotions but in a traditional way.
4. Recover the mystical experience of the EF Mass in the OF Mass through well done Chants, energetic music that is NOT secular sounding or sounds like Broadway ditties with religious words.
5. Allow each and every Mass no matter how boring or poorly celebrated, to have uniform practices such as ad orientem for the LIturgy of the Eucharist and Kneeling for Holy Communion.
My final opinion:
If nothing else is done at least, pray God, that bishops will have some common sense and insist on ad orientem and kneeling for Holy Communion received on the tongue with a paten below the communicant's chin to assist in the recovery of the mystical aspect of Mass and the focus on Jesus Christ who alone is all Holy and not sinful or corrupt let alone compromised.
If a Catholic believes that the Catholic Church is the True Church founded by God Himself and that Jesus Alone is Holy and we are simply called to perfection in heaven which begins in this life, and that each Catholic has some kind of mystical experience at Holy Mass and in our popular devotions, how can anyone then become a none or done with the Church?????????