Translate

Friday, February 18, 2022

WOW! THIS IS JUST TOO GOOD! NOW IN MY LATE 60'S I FINALLY LEARN ABOUT WHAT MY FATHER EXPERIENCED AND TRIED TO DESCRIBE TO ME WHEN I WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!

 My father used to talk about this and that he experienced it Rome in the 1940's (during the climax of the war there). And now I finally see what he described to me which as a small child, I couldn't exactly wrap my head around it.

AMAZING! God rest my father's soul!

I saw it at the Liturgical Arts Journal and you can read about it and see even more cool photos about it by pressing the title:

Lost Romanitas: The Virgula Poenitentiaria -- Or Penitential Wand / Rod

on 


4 comments:

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I often though that, at political debates, a person holding a Penitential Wand (aka a wooden dowel) should stand behind each politician. When the candidate doesn't answer the querstion asked, but takes up time saying what he or she wants to say about some other topic, the Wand Master would give the candidate a solid whack on the head, hard enough to make the speaker flinch.

Q. "Representative Carter, are you in favor of teaching religion in the science classes of our public schools?"

R. "I've always thought that the Bible should be taught in our schools." WHACK !

OR

Q. "Senator Smith, do you favor building the new highway on the route proposed by the Department of Transportation?"

R. "I'd like to go back and comment on the answer my opponent gave to a question asked 10 minutes ago..." WHACK !

TJM said...

Q: Do you think Abortion should be considered “healthcare?”

R: I support Planned Parenthood!

rcg said...

I like Fr K’s suggestion! Except they would burst into flames.

ByzRus said...

This might garner a strong response from some, but, to me, this is what some of the reforms of VII were intended to check. Priest sitting on a throne wearing a table cloth waving a liturgical magic wand. The photo as a historical matter looks charming, however, how silly would this look today? Perhaps no more silly than this historical capture looks, at least to me. The Eastern Catholic Church had a few of its own "extras" that, too, have fallen into disuse.