Translate

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

THE HOLY FATHER DOES APPEAR TO OFFER SOME FLEXIBILITY ON THE USE OF THE OLDER LEX ORANDI

 


This is rather impressive. The Holy Father personally reads something from the FSSP and their distress over his decision limiting the use of the more ancient Lex Orandi of the Church. He hand writes a note to them and invites them to visit with him. 

They go; His Holiness meets with them for an hour or so and then lands the bombshell upon them that they can continue as is with some codicils. 

Maybe bishops should approach the Holy Father in such a humble way to ask him to reconsider some of the more rigid answers of Archbishop Roche and his contrived dubia? I have heard the English are more rigid when it comes to rules. Am I wrong in this regard. I have a story to tell about a quite silly thing concerning my luggage and a flight back to the USA from London in the 1980’s. It was incredible. 

From Rorate Caeli:

On the Meeting with the Pope - Interview granted 2/21/22 to Anne le Pape by Fr. Paul-Joseph, Superior of the FSSP district of France

Father, what is the backstory of your recent meeting with the Holy Father?

Fr Ribeton, rector of the European seminary of our Fraternity, and I wrote directly to the Pope on December 28 to express our dismay and our incomprehension following the publication of Traditionis Custodes and the Responsa. We confidently appealed to his solicitude. He answered us by hand the next day (everything was done by scan, but yes, the letter was in his hand), reassuring us and inviting us to come and meet him to talk things over. So we contacted his secretariat and the date of February 4, 2022 was set; that is the day when Father Ribeton and I went to Rome.


6 comments:

TJM said...

If you want to see what a pathetic careerist Roche is take a look at some recent statements of Father Hunwicke over at Mutual Enrichment. Very eye opening

rcg said...

My favorite part of the story, “thank you Holy Father! May we have that in writing?”

John Nolan said...

The English are less rigid when it comes to rules than are the Germans, who will not cross an entirely empty road until the little man changes from red to green.

What you will encounter in England is the 'jobsworth', someone in a very minor official capacity who sticks to the letter of the regulations even when doing so makes no sense. His stock response is 'it's more than my job's worth'.

The discerning minority of us realize that rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Boris Johnson certainly thinks so.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

This was in the 1980’s when I was flying back to Augusta from London through Atlanta’s international airport. My ticket was to Augusta, but I had decided to visit friends in Atlanta and I wasn’t going to use the ticket portion to Augusta and I wanted to be able to get my luggage in Atlanta and not have it checked through to Augusta. The English agent would have nothing to do with that. My ticket said I was booked to Augusta and to Augusta my luggage would go! No matter how much I tried to tell her I wasn’t going to go to Augusta but stay in Atlanta, she could care less, my luggage was going to Augusta with or without me! And thus she checked it to Augusta and i was spitting fire I was so angry.

But! Of course, when we got to Atlanta, we had to go through customs which meant we had to get our checked bags for them to look at. I had forgotten that, and no one stopped me from not rechecking my bags so these could go to Augusta and the agents in Atlanta could care less if I didn’t recheck them! And thus I won out in the long run but still have post traumatic stress syndrome from my interaction with that English Delta agent!

John Nolan said...

Fr Allan,

Airport bureacracy can be a nightmare, and you have my sympathy. BTW, I suspect you meant 'couldn't care less'. If I 'could care less' it implies that I care more. (Think about it.)

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

John - I experienced that Germanic rigor once in the exact form you describe. A friend and I were in Salzburg and, with not a car in sight, we began to make our way across a road against the light and were immediately called out. "NO!" the older woman standing beside us said.

So, we stepped back onto the sidewalk and waited...