Translate

Sunday, February 20, 2022

LET’S TALK ABOUT ETHOS, ORIENTATION AND FEELING AS WELL AS DOCTRINE, THAT IS LEX ORANDI; LEX CREDENDI



I know the two photos above show, first, the Ancient Latin Mass and second the Modern Vernacular Mass.

But let’s pretend that they are both the Modern Vernacular Mass and let us talk about feelings these photos or the experience of this Mass gives those who attend and participate. 

I will give my feelings and you can give yours.

1. The first gives a sense to me of something awesome occurring and a great deal of attention to detail is occurring also. The second, while more simple, seems more ordinary to me, not particularly awesome but rather like the priest oriented to me rather than to God. If I am an atheist, I would wonder if there is any connection between the two photos. One seems other-oriented and the other seems self-oriented. 

2. The complexity of the first photo captures my imagination and leads me to contemplate. If I am an atheist contemplating what I see while not understanding it, it peaks my curiosity of wonder and awe. The second photo does not do this at all for me. Thus, as a priest, I wonder if the first is a better evangelization experience compared to the second photo which seems boring to the eye. An atheist might continue to reflect on what he experienced in the first photo well after he leaves because it is unforgettable while the second photo is quite forgettable after you leave, nothing memorable for an atheist. 

I won’t go further.  But, again, let’s say these are both the Modern Vernacular Mass. Which one is the better expression of the Church’s authentic prayer that leads to authentic belief. 

While I don’t have the Communion Rite pictured, we could ask the same question. Which form of distributing Holy Communion which is itself an act of physical prayer better supports the doctrine of the Sacrificial Banquet? By this I mean the so-called “Communion Procession” where the laity form lines towards various “Communion stations” and receive standing and on the hand and on the run from a variety of clergy and laity ministers compared to the laity receiving kneeling at the altar railing receiving from a member of the clergy and on the tongue?

Thus, my thesis is that the crisis of evangelization and of orthodox belief concerning the Mass has nothing to do with it being the Ancient Latin Mass compared to the Modern Vernacular Mass in terms of the liturgical books which contain the prayers of the Mass, but rather the style of the Mass, its ethos and look may well contribute to the loss of Catholic Faith as it concerns the celebration of the Mass. 

It is a crisis of rubrics!

Of course, the Modern Vernacular Mass is valid, it is still the same doctrine as is the Ancient Latin Mass. The problem is that the second look makes it seem as though it isn’t and thus the way you pray and the “look” of the Mass has an affect on what you believe. 

The rubrics are important for evangelization and orthodox belief!

3 comments:

TJM said...

The second photo shows a Mass that is a banal, boring experience and the priest’s back is to Our Lord in the tabernacle

John Nolan said...

The first photograph shows a Solemn Mass before the 1964 alterations. I have attended many of these in recent years, but don't remember any from the time - in 1964 I was just into my teens and this was not usual parish fare. There was a half way house known as the 'missa cantata' but this did not survive the gardarine rush to vernacularize.

Over the years I have encountered people (first- or second-hand) who attribute their conversion to experiencing the liturgical and musical splendours of the Roman liturgy; but for many (including Newman and Evelyn Waugh) this was not of primary importance. Likewise, the liturgical changes of the second half of the 1960s, which amounted to a revolution in worship, caused many to lapse. There were of course other factors involved. Vatican II reinforced a move to relativism already prevalent in secular society. The 1960s generation downplayed obligation and elevated choice - 'do your own thing'.

Human nature being what it is, modern man is no more materialist and individualist than his ancestors were; in fact individualism has in the last twenty years been replaced by a sort of groupthink which penalizes those who step out of line. Whether or not this impinges on Catholic worship is a matter for debate.

For my part, if the average parish Mass was the only thing on offer, I would remain Catholic but would not be inclined to attend. I tried hard to like it, but eventually found it wanting.

But then, I'm one of the 1960s generation.

ByzRus said...

The lower photo, such a jumble of oddly placed fixtures and stuff. How to reduce something that was elevated to I'm not entirely sure what the goal of this arrangement is. Even the 6 "high" candles are on the floor. The physical equality of the ambo and altar creates its own clash. I don't know, to me, this is like doing your job in the most half-assed way possible, but, as there's no risk of "killing the patient", you needn't worry about getting fired.