Translate

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

LET ME OFFER THE MOST COMMON SENSE RECOMMENDATION ABOUT THE CRISIS OF VALIDITY OF THE SACRAMENTS OF THE LATIN RITE CATHOLIC CHURCH

 


I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and we wouldn’t know it, in some cases, if not for video recording of sacraments. What is that crisis? Rogue priests who think their translations and way of celebrating the sacraments of the Church has no implication on the validity of those sacraments. And what a mess this Sacramental abuse is for its victims!

I wondered to myself, self, were you validly baptized (and thus validly received the other sacraments to include Holy Orders)? And then, a sense of relief and calm came over me as I was baptized in January of 1954 by an army chaplain in Naples, Italy. He had to use the Latin formula to baptize me and I doubt seriously that he changed the specific words necessary for validly. Who would do that when Latin was required?

We all know priests who change the vernacular words of the Lex Orandi of the Latin Rite, the modern liturgical books. In what other ways are they invalidating the various other sacraments, like absolution and the words of consecration? What about the Extreme Unction? 

I watched the abomination which is call the liturgy at St. Sabina in Chicago and that priest makes it up as he goes and I doubt seriously that the Mass there is valid. Why hasn’t Cardinal Cupich censured and suspended that priest and named a new pastor and asked that parish to stop their divisive and invalid ways of celebrating the Sacraments of the Church? 

It’s a head scratcher to say the least!

My solution? Well, don’t tell anyone because it is so novel, so commonsensical, so me: When it comes to the words that affect the validity of the Sacraments, require that these be said in Latin! Wow! I bet I am the first one to come up with that solution that would put this invalidity nonsense to rest!

Like in Arizona, botched baptisms roiled Michigan church

6 comments:

Joseph Johnson said...

I came to the same conclusion some years ago. Past generations weren’t stupid.

ByzRus said...

So now we want rigidity?

TJM said...

ByzRus,

Rigidity is fine so long as it’s “liberal” rigidity



John Nolan said...

I understand that the vernacular was allowed in baptism some time before the Council - Pius XII was a liturgical reformer, after all - but the exorcisms and the 'ego te baptizo' remained in Latin.

The names on my birth certificate are John Peter, but my mother was fond of reminding me that my actual Christian names are Joannes Petrus, since I was christened in Latin. I could style myself Jean-Pierre in France, Juan Pedro in Spain, Hans Peter in Germany, and so on.

TJM said...

John Nolan,

In the US that was true. I attended my youngest brother’s baptism in January of 1961, some English but the formulas were in Latin, beautifully done by a priest who taught Latin and Biblical Greek at the local seminary. This priest continued to say Mass in Latin until his death in 1985, although at that time he felt obligated to use the Novus Ordo

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Yes, the EF Baptisms I have done allow for the vernacular for certain prayers but not for others but the words of baptism must be Latin.