Translate

Sunday, November 7, 2021

MY WARNING TO MY PARISHIONERS ABOUT USE OF THE SOCIAL MEDIA OUTLETS, LIKE BLOGS

 Dear parishioners,

Social media and the main line media seem to be radicalizing a great number of people in our communities. It happens within the Church when Catholic social media junkies stir the pot with half truths or outright lies about the pope or Catholic teaching or what is instore for us as we move through time. 


The same thing happens in secular fields, especially with politics. While politics has always been a somewhat nasty business, it is more so today and very cutthroat. 


As Catholics, how do we keep our head above water? First, when it comes to social media think critically and read media that is fair and balanced. That may be difficult to find, so several sources of differing ideologies are necessary.

 

Secondly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church contains almost everything Catholicneed to know about Church teaching, contrary messages from others notwithstanding. Our faith is out in the open and for the most part, most of what we believe, teach and profess which is revealed by God is settled. 


Although there is a push in some segments of the Church for women to be admitted to the priesthood and same sex relationships to be blessed, it is clear to me that these things will not happen given settled Church teaching. How to reach out to those who are alienated from the Church because we do not have a gender inclusive priesthood or bless same sex unions is another question that can be and is being debated.

 

Ultimately, though, our Catholic Faith and spirituality are not fueled by controversial issues in the Church. Our faith is in the Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit and the institutional way Jesus created the seven sacraments for us to experience in a sacramental way God’s intimae and personal love for each one of us which is unconditional. 


For me as a Catholic and a priest, I know that I am on the right track when I am in a right relationship with God and His Church. While I can be distracted by controversies or outright sins of clergy and laity, I see the devil trying to pull apart not only my Catholic Faith and commitment to it, but my Catholic spirituality which brings peace and joy to my life and motivates me to be of  service to God and the Church and the world around me. 


I hope you feel as I do about these things. God bless you.


Your pastor,

Fr. Allan


P.S. I will depart for my fall vacation following Sunday Mass and return to the parish office on Tuesday, November 16. And a week and two days from that Tuesday is Thanksgiving Day—so time if flying and we need to stay focused on Christ!

No comments: