The Bishop of St. Louis is seen wearing liturgical gloves and perhaps buskins so as not to contaminate the floor of the sacred cathedral where he presides. Liturgical masks are a liturgical novelty but an organic development of their use will add a religious symbolism to it. I wonder what that might be?
God is bringing about authentic liturgical renewal and restoration with some novelties such as masks. I predict the maniple will make a comeback as a kind of handkerchief. O, wait, it has made a comeback with the EF Mass (and truth be told, I have worn it on occasion at OF Masses).
So, in a span of two months, this is what the COVID-19 pandemic has done for liturgical renewal:
1. Offertory procession has been eliminated (Vatican II asked for noble simplicity).
2. The Handshake, Hug, Kissing, of Peace has been eliminated (Vatican II asked for noble simplicity and sobriety in the Mass).
3. The Pandemic causing common chalice has been eliminated for obvious reasons Vatican II taught noble simplicity was important at the Communion Rite and the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of the Risen, Gorifiied Lord is fully present (intact) under the form of the Host alone
4. No holding hands at the Lord's Prayer as the Mass, as Vatican II taught, is not a contact sport.
Things the Lord has planned for further Liturgical Renewal:
1. The elimination of the Universal Prayer (one post-Vatican II Cardinal says Vatican II called these, "those boring things).
2. The Roman Canon mandated for all Masses because it include the Universal Prayer within it, as Vatican II taught.
3. Kneeling for Holy Communion and at the altar railing because Vatican II taught that it is easier and faster to distribute Holy Communion this way, noble simplicity demands few Euharistiic Ministers, and finger-to tongue contact is absent due to the posture of the communicant.
4. Ad orientem is restored because Vatican II taught that prayer is directed to God, the Mass is a Sacrifice not a reenactment of the Last Supper and there is nothing to see that can't be seen at the high elevations and people can know where the priest is by the sound of ringing bells.
5. The Eucharistic Fast (beginning at midnight) will be restored because Vatican II taught that this fast was the best way to prevent everyone in the congregation from receiving Holy Communioin as well as an emphasis on not receiving Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin.
6. The Prayers at the Foot of the Altar will be restored because Vatican II taught that the virus of sin as bad as the coronavirus needs the vaccine of lengthy pentitential prayers prior to the actual celebration of the Mass.
7. Vatican II taught that the Mass should not be too wordy as aerosolized speech not only is boring but spreads pandemics. The Mass should be in Latin, quietly prayed, becasue as Vatican II taught, God understands Latin since prayer is directed to Him and not the congregation and He can hear what mere mortal man cannot. He sees too, what men can't see.