Translate

Saturday, January 18, 2020

TO RAISE OR TO REAR? THAT IS THE. QUESTION



I just celebrated for the second time, the new and glorious English translation of Holy Baptism which tongue tied me today as last Saturday. I read the words but the old translation still seems to come from my tongue.

Last week I told you that the translators received what I channeled to them to change “dumb” to “mute” as I have always done beginning with my ultra liberal ways when I was ordained in 1980.

Today, I noticed, that twice or thrice, I can’t remember, the new and glorious translation has written something about “raising” your child in the practice of the faith and “raising” to do this, that or the other.

I was taught in basic English grammar in the good ole south, that you raise animals or livestock but you rear children. In fact, my grammar teacher was passionate about that as she felt that saying children are “raised” turned them into animals.

What say you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interchangeable

Anonymous said...

Pr your connotation, I would say a too many today are being raised.

Gene said...

Proper use of "raise" and "rear:"
"Boy, you were not raised in a barn. If you do that again, I am going to take this belt to your rear."

Anonymous said...

Gene, good to see you and laugh again at your always-unique, earthy takes on one of FRAJM’s posts!

John Nolan said...

Cranmer, who had as good an ear for the language as anyone, preferred 'bring up'.

One can rear cattle and raise a family. Raising cattle while rearing a family means the same thing, but doesn't sound right.