Translate

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

I HAVE LIVED AND STUDIED AT THE NORTH AMERICAN COLLEGE IN ROME FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS TOTAL AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT I ABSOLUTELY LOVED EATING PRANZO THERE!!!!!!!

The Roman seminary's lunch, pranzo in Italian, was the main meal of the day and at 1 pm. Typical of Italy, it was several courses, with lunch, the first plate, a pasta or rice dish of some kind and then the second plate with meat of some kind and vegetables and finally dessert. Wine is the drink of the day along with water. 

I had more variety of pastas at this seminary than what my Tuscan mother would make. But the ambiance was the same! 

Then, of course, after the pranzo was the "reposo" the rest that lasted to about 4 or 5 pm. One could easily take a nap induced by all the food and especially the wine!

Please note the color of the egg yokes in this video. This is typical of Italy. Very rich indeed:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's Rita, there's no point in reading it

Anonymous said...

Bright deep orange egg yolks are from chlorophyll ingested by roaming birds. The first time I ever saw storebought commercial pale yellow yolk eggs, I refused to eat them, thinking they were bad. When I DID eat them, found them too tasteless and bland to be bad or much of anything else, either.

Am sure that today there is made a chemical to add to water and feed to duplicate that "natural" color and flavor.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

First time I saw the deep orange yikes in Italy as an adult I thought they had gone bad! Happy Eggs in the USA are free range chickens and the yokes are orange but not as orange as in the video.

Anonymous said...

Our yolks from our chickens of my youth were that orange and oranger. Any commercial outfit saying their chickens are free range would need chicken drovers and a fence free West to drive them to greener pastures rich in bugs to chase. I suspect most "free range" chickens are penned rather than cluck-in-a-box, and there very little past dirt and chicken crap on the grounds of their "range".