“As was already announced, on February 14 next I will have the joy of holding a Concistory, during which I will name 15 new Cardinals who, coming from 13 countries from every continent, manifest the indissoluble links between the Church of Rome and the particular Churches present in the world.
“On Sunday February 15 I will preside at a solemn concelebration with the new Cardinals, while on February 12 and 13 I will hold a Consistory with all the Cardinals to reflect on the orientations and proposals for the reform of the Roman Curia.
“The new Cardinals are:
- Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura
- Archbishiop Manuel José Macario do Nascimento Clemente, Patriarch of Lisbon (Portugal)
- Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel, C.M., of Addis Abeba (Ethiopia)
- Archbishop John Atcherley Dew of Wellington (New Zealand)
- Archbishop Edoardo Menichelli of Ancona-Osimo (Italy)
- Archbishop Pierre Nguyên Văn Nhon of Hà Nôi (Viêt Nam)
- Archbishop Alberto Suàrez Inda of Morelia (Mexico)
- Archbishop Charles Maung Bo, S.D.B., of Yangon (Myanmar)
- Archbishop Francis Xavier Kriengsak Kovithavanij of Bangkok (Thailand)
- Archbishop Francesco Montenegro of Agrigento (Italy)
- Archbishop Daniel Fernando Sturla Berhouet, S.D.B., of Montevideo (Uruguay)
- Archbishop Ricardo Blázquez Pérez of Vallodolid (Spain)
- Bishop José Luis Lacunza Maestrojuán, O.A.R., of David (Panamá)
- Bishop Arlindo Gomes Furtado, of Santiago de Cabo Verde (Archipelago of Cape Verde)
- Bishop Soane Patita Paini Mafi of Tonga (Island of Tonga)
José de Jesús Pimiento Rodriguez, Archbishop Emeritus of Manizales
Archbishop Luigi De Magistris, Major Pro-Penitentiary Emeritus
Archbishop Karl-Joseph Rauber, Apostolic Nuncio
Luis Héctor Villaba, Archbishop Emeritus of Tucumán
Júlio Duarte Langa, Bishop Emeritus of Xai-Xai
“Let us pray for the new Cardinals, that, renewed in their love for Christ, they might be witnesses of His Gospel in the City of Rome and in the world, and with their pastoral experience they might support me more intensely in my apostolic service.”
Archbishop John Dew of New Zealand allows the Extraordinary Form of the Mass in his diocese. He is a pleasant man and would be regarded as neither liberal nor conservative, although he has appointed a lot of women as administrators in various parishes.
Actually, Father, there are two from North America:
Archbishop Alberto Suàrez Inda of Morelia (Mexico)
Bishop José Luis Lacunza Maestrojuán, O.A.R., of David (Panamá)
I think in Mexico they only call the USA and Canada "North America". And "los Norteamericanos" are specifically USA citizens.
At any rate, there's obviously no "Cardinal Bubba Jones" on the list.
It could be worse....there are notable absences.
Post a Comment