Translate

Thursday, June 8, 2023

SENTIMENTALITY OR A TIME CAPSULE? CHASUBLES FOR JUNE 7 AND 8, 1980…

MY FIRST SUNDAY MASS, SOLEMNITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI, JUNE 8, 1980 WITH A VESTMENT MADE BY MAMA!

ORDINATION CHASUBLE: 

FIRST MASS VESTMENTS MADE BY MAMA!




Yesterday, June 7th was my 43rd Anniversary of Ordination to the priesthood. For my daily Mass, I wore the vestment that was placed upon me in 1980. And it still fits me perfectly, thank you very much! 

Today, June 8th, is the 43rd Anniversary of my First Sunday Mass, which in 1980 was the Feast of Corpus Christi—it is a movable feast depending on when Easter Sunday is. However, the traditional date is always the Thursday after Trinity Sunday. In most places in the world it is transferred to the Sunday after that Thursday. 

Thus, my daily Mass this morning is on the traditional date of Corpus Christi! Cool! My mother made the simple vestment (chasuble) for my first Mass. Back then, stark simplicity was the order of the day and it was becoming customary to wear the stole, normally placed underneath the chasuble, to be placed over it.

WE KNOW, THAT IN TERMS OF LITURGY AND OTHER ISSUES, POPE FRANCIS IS INTO BACKWARDISM. MY 1980 FIRST MASS VESTMENTS IS SIMILAR TO WHAT POPE FRANCIS PREFERS. WHY, YOU ASK? BECAUSE IT IS VERY 1970’S, THAT’S WHY! 

And yes, this 43 year old chasuble and stole fit me perfectly as it did in 1980, thank you very much! My first Mass was at St. Joseph Church in Augusta where I made my First Holy Communion and I was Confirmed. The parish provided a wonderful reception of various ethnic foods from the parishioners. St.Joseph’s was and is a multi-ethnic parish. It was wonderful!

2 comments:

ByzRus said...

That's a treasure, Fr.

Glad it has accompanied you, you mother has accompanied you, during your priestly journey.

Sophia said...

Sophia Here: I totally agree, ByzRus!