Translate

Saturday, June 10, 2023

PRIESTLY ORDINATION AT THE CATHEDRAL OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, NOT SAVANNAH, THOUGH, CHARLESTON!

As everyone knows, I am proudly bi-diocesan. I have retired to active retirement in the Diocese of Charleston, South Carolina where I have been given faculties by Bishop Jacques Fabre-Jeune CS but I proudly remain an incardinated priest of the Diocese of Savannah, only 35 miles from where I live on Hilton Head Island. 

My pronouns for my combined dioceses is “they” and “them.” Please remember that or I will report you to the bi-diocesan gestapo. 

Oddly enough both of my bi-diocesan cathedrals are named after Saint John the Baptist.

 Bishop Jacques Fabre-Jeune, CS is the ordaining Bishop.

Fr. Paul Lacombe is the one who is being ordained.

"The power of the priest, is the power of the divine person; for the transubstantiation of the bread requires as much power as the creation of the world." St. Bernardine of Siena

I was not at the priestly ordination in Charleston last night, but please note the splendid Benedictine altar arrangement employed by Charleston’s Cathedral.




6 comments:

TJM said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing

ByzRus said...

Axios!

Paul said...

ByzRus,

Sorry you missed out before on my "amateur" attempts at Red wine fuelled profiling but it has been men like you contributing to this blog that has kept me a follower of this blog for over a decade; even those periods of a month or more when I have not posted anything myself.

Also, apart from a chapter or two in books like the Oxford History of Christianity, I've read too little on Eastern Christianity.

BTW I have been friends at times with Greek Cypriot Christians - in today's Telegraph which I rarely read there was a story article on a Fr......who has held positions at......who like probably more than a few American and Australian clerics, Catholic and Protestant, has been caught out due to his repeated use of the Gay dating app/sites Grindr....

Paul said...

LGBT

At the little school I hope with others to establish will be regarded as standing for:

L Latin.

G Gregorian chant

B Byzantine Christianity

T Traditional..

Also, I've started my retirement and hope to slowly complete another Master's thesis over perhaps 4 or 5 years..

Anyway, tonight I came across some lyrics of a Mr Zimmerman (aka Bob Dylan) song written 40 years ago in 1983, I thought quite Prophetic:

"....You know the streets are filled with vipers/ who've lost all ray of hope...

You know, it's not even safe no more/ in the palace of the Pope...

Don't fall apart on me tonight..."

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

I just found out that the young man ordained in Charleston is a grad of Benedictine Military School and Blemont Abbey - same as me! Blessing to Paul Lacombe!

ByzRus said...

Thanks for the kind words, Paul.

I'm happy being the Eastern Correspondant as part of the commenter corp. Good discussions over a surprising amount of time!