Translate

Monday, December 19, 2022

VALID OR NOT? AN UNINTENTIONAL DISCOMBOBULATION OF THE WORDS OF CONSECRATION OVER THE CHALICE

 


I am a by the book celebrant for both the TLM and the Modern Roman Missal. 

This morning at the daily Mass at Holy Family on Hilton Head, after I consecrated the Host, elevated and genuflected, I began to consecrate the Precious Blood, but out of nowhere, I had a post-nasal drip that hit my vocal cords like acid and thus prevented my clear enunciation of the words of consecration.

As well, I was so startled by it, that I discombobulated the words of consecration, but I think I had the essential words that would have been valid. But I can’t be sure. This is in retrospect. But I could hardly speak the words so severe was the acid like drip on my vocal cords. 

And on top of that, I was so discombobulated by what was happening and trying to clear my throat and on a very lively and too loud microphone, that as soon as I finished the words of consecration with a feeble sound, I genuflected before I elevated the chalice (which is normal for the TLM but not for  the MVM!).

If I messed up the words of consecration, inadvertently, would the old stand by, “the Church will supply what was lacking” kick in? 

By the way, there was no intentional blasphemy here! And this is based on my recollection of events after the fact! Just to be clear. 

1 comment:

Fr. Michael J. Kavanaugh said...

If only you were celebrating in Latin using some form of the "vetus ordo", Good Father, this would have NEVER happened. Post-nasal drip is forbidden in the "traditional" rubrics...

No, wait a minute.....

Instead of that, you can try a Claritin tablet when you eat breakfast. Works like a charm for keeping the sinuses clear.