Translate

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

THE RE-ENCHANTMENT OF THE MODERN MISSAL’S INTRODUCTORY RITE, OFFERTORY, COMMUNION RITE AND DISMISSAL


The Modern Missal is used as is, except with these renewal in continuity changes:

INTRODUCTORY RITE

After the prescribed Entrance Chant (Introit) The priest at the foot of the altar begins with the Sign of the Cross and then:

P. I will go unto the altar of the Lord.

℟ To God, who gives joy to my soul.

℣Our help is in the Name of the  Lord.

℟ Who made Heaven and earth.

 I confess to almighty God, to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, to all the Saints, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have greatly sinned in my thoughts, in my words, and in what I have done, and what I have failed to do, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault. Therefore, I ask blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, all the Saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.

P. May almighty God have mercy on you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life.

P.  May the almighty and merciful Lord grant us forgiveness, absolu- tion, and the remission of our sins.

Amen.

(Priest privately prays as he ascends the altar)

Take away from us, we beg, O Lord, our iniquities so that with pure minds we might merit to en- ter into your Holy of Holies. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

(The priest kisses the altar saying privately)

We pray to you, O Lord, through the merits of your Saints whose relics are here, and all the Saints, that you might deign to forgive all my sins.

The Kyrie 

The Gloria 

The Lord be with you.
And with your Spirit.

The Collect 

THE OFFERTORY


The offering of the bread:

Accept, holy Father, almighty and eternal God, this immaculate vic- tim, which I, your unworthy ser- vant, offer to you, my God, living and true, for my uncountable sins, offenses, and omissions and for all those who are standing here but also for all faithful Christians li- ving and dead, that it may effec- tively gain for me and for them salvation and eternal life. Amen.

The Offering of the Wine:

We offer to you, O Lord, this chalice of salvation, begging your cle- mency, that, in the sight of your divine majesty, it may rise up with the odor of sweetness for our salvation and that of the whole world. Amen.

After:

With humble spirit and contrite heart may we be accepted by you, O Lord, and may our sacrifice in your sight this day be pleasing to you, Lord God.

Come, O Sanctifier, almighty and eternal God, and bless this sacrifice + prepared for the honor of your holy name.

After washing his hands, bowing at the middle of the altar:

Receive O holy Trinity, this oblation, which we offer to you in memory of the passion, resurrection,and ascension of Jesus Christ our Lord and for the honor of blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed John the Baptist, and the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, of these and all the saints, that it might bring them ho- nor and us salvation and that they whose memory we recall on earth might deign to intercede for us in Heaven. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Then turning to the nave, the priest says:

Pray brethren, that my sacrifice…..

All: May the Lord….

THE RITE OF HOLY COMMUNION


After the “Our Father”

P. Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil, past, present, and future, and, by the intercession of the blessed and glorious Mary ever Virgin, the Mother of God, with your Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and Andrew, and all the Saints, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress. 

The priest fractions the Host saying 

Through the same Christ our Lord, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God forever and ever.

Holding a Fragment of the host over the chalice and making the Sign of the Cross three times,the priest says:

The peace of the Lord be with you.
All: And with your Spirit.

The priest co-mingles the Host with the Precious Blood saying quietly:

May this mingling and consecration of the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ bring eternal life to us who receive it. Amen.

The Lamb of God

After the Lamb of God and bowing at the center of the altar with folded hands on the altar:

Lord Jesus Christ, who said to your Apostles, Peace I leave you, my peace I give you, look not on my sins, but on the faith of your Church, and graciously grant her peace and unity in accordance wi- th your will. Who live and reign, God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Then quietly the priest prays:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the li- ving God, who by the will of the Father and the work of the Holy Spirit, through your Death gave life to the world; free me by this, your most holy Body and Blood, from all my sins and from every evil; keep me always faithful to your commandments, and never let me be parted from you, who with the same God the Father and the Holy Spirit live and reign, God for ever and ever. Amen.

May the receiving of your Body and Blood, Lord Jesus Christ, not bring me to judgment and condemnation, but through your loving mercy be for me protection in mind and body, and a healing remedy, who live and reign with God the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God for ever and ever. Amen.

The priest genuflects and says:

I will take the bread from Heaven and call on the name of the Lord.

Then turning to the congregation with the fractured Host above the chalice, the priest says:

“Behold the Lamb of God, behold Him…

Then all say three times:

Lord, I am not worthy….

The priest turns back to the altar for his Holy Communion:

May the Body of our Lord Jesus Christ keep my soul safe for eternal life. Amen.

Then gathering any fragments of the host on the purificator with the paten, the priest places those in the chalice as he says:

What repayment shall I make to the Lord for everything which he has given me? I will take the chalice of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. Praising him, I will call upon the Lord, and I will be saved from my enemies.

Then taking the chalice he says and then drinks:

May the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ keep my soul safe for eternal life. Amen.

Then the priest distributes Holy Communion to the Faithful with these words and their response “Amen”.

May the body of our Lord Jesus Christ keep your soul safe for eternal life.

After Holy Communion the priest purifies the vessels with these words:

What has passed our lips as food, O Lord, may we possess in purity of heart, that what has been given to us in time may be our healing for eternity.

May your Body, O Lord, which I have eaten, and your Blood, which I have drunk, stick to my innards, and grant that in me, whom your pure and holy Sacraments have made new, there may not remain the stain of sins, who live and reign for ever and ever. Amen.

Then after the prayer after Holy Communion, the priest goes to the center of the altar, kisses it and turns to the faithful say:

Go in peace.

All: Thanks be to God.

Then the priest faces the altar, bowing and prays quietly:

May the offering of my service please you, O holy Trinity, and grant that this sacrifice which I, though unworthy, have offered before the eyes of your majesty, may be acceptable to you, and that, by your mercy, it may atone for me and for all those for whom I have offered it. Through Christ Our Lord.

Then the priest turns to the faithful and offers the Final Blessing.

Then the priest recesses with the other ministers. 



















4 comments:

TJM said...

Excellent suggestions but why not just translate the TLM into the vernacular?

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Well, what I am recommending is still the Ordinary Form with all the new collects, prefaces, Eucharistic prayers, etc, but there is definitely a continuity with the TLM and of course, all of this could be in Latin too. It is to appeal to both schools of the Mass.

TJM said...

The Eucharistic Prayers save for the Roman Canon should be suppressed for the sake of unity. Moreover liberal priests rail about how the Church does not respect women - the Roman Canon is indisputable proof that the Church has respected women throughout her history. I suspect that is why liberal priests avoid the Roman Canon because it undercuts their disingenuous narrative

ByzRus said...

What you propose is nice. Real world, it is likely more practical to work with what the Church has provided reinstituting ad orientem and perhaps kneeling for reception of holy communion. Getting away from the contemporary practice of 4 hymns would likely help greatly as well.

Otherwise, and as suggested by TJM, a revised missal should just go back to the '62 Missal with the mid '50s holy week revisions and simply rely on the vernacular. To me, that would be an organic evolution. Perhaps the ceremonial could be simplified as was likely the high level desire of the Council, not wholesale abandonment.

My proposal would likely resonate best with those who remain creating a peace (and likely a reinvigorated love of the mass) that was intended.