Former Apostolic Nuncio to the USA Carlo Maria Viganò awards Cardinal McCarrick (2 May 2012)
The Vatican Insider in Rome has another salvo against Archbishop Viganò. This time they are mixing apples 🍏 and oranges 🍊 as it concerns McCarrick and subverting the actual scandals.
You can read The Vatican Insiders article HERE, where Pope Francis is praised for removing McCarrick’s red hat and publicly compared to Pope Benedict’s “secret” sanctions.
My points as it concerns The McCarrick scandal:
1. As far as we know, McCarrick’s homosexual abuse of at least two young teenage boys was unknown until these now adult men came forward recently with their credible accusations
2. It was known, though, in high places and for decades that McCarrick was an active homosexual and still was made a bishop, named to Washington and then made a Cardinal.
3. Pope Benedict’s unfortunate secret sanctions were about what Benedict thought was terrible corruption in McCarrick involving consensual homosexual sex with adult seminarians and young adult priests, not ephebophilia. For better or worse, I believe worse, Pope Benedict wanted to send a reprimand to McCarrick about what he thought was consensual homosexuality but did not want to out him or the seminarians and priests. Unfortunately I don’t think the abuse of power angle or clericalism was considered by Pope Benedict.
4. It appears Pope Francis rehabilitated McCarrick, in mercy forgave his homosexuality peccadilloes and used him as a close friend and confidant who advised him on the USA and appointments of bishops and cardinals.
5. It wasn’t until it became publicly known that McCarrick was also a homosexual ephebophile through New York’s investigation of two accusations that were deemed credible that Pope Francis acted quickly to remove McCarrick’s red hat.
6. Certainly Pope Benedict would have done the same given what Francis did in my point #5.