Monday, March 6, 2017
THE ABSOLUTE MESS OF HOW PEOPLE RECEIVE HOLY COMMUNION TODAY
I've been in my new parish now since the end of June. Like almost every other parish in the world 🌎 Catholics receive Holy Communion in a variety of ways, some very reverently and others in the most peculiar ways, not intending to be irreverent, but it looks it nonetheless.
While I continue to advocate for the longer tradition in the Latin Rite of kneeling for Holy Communion and receiving on the tongue (as these "appear in sign value" to be more reverent and thus enhances the recovery of reverence in the Ordinary Form) I realize that standing for Holy Communion and the option of receiving in the hand is written in the rubrics of the OF's Roman Missal's General Instruction. I have no authority to prevent anyone from receiving in the hand or on the tongue!
But this is what I have seen at my new parish and in fact it happens in every parish in terms of abuse of the manner in which Holy Communion is received in the hand and the horrible sacrilege that often occurs if only in a tiny minority of communicants who receive in the hand:
1. Grabbing the Host
2. The pinched figure over the other hand reception of the Host
3. Both hands extended side by side
4. The hands in motion as one receives on the run 🏃
5. The one handed reception of Holy Communion especially when carrying a child but often simply one handed, dropping the hand downward to move the host to the fingers in order to bring the Host to the mouth!
The sacrilege, whether intended or not (and seen recently in new parish and other parishes):
1. Walking off with the Host without consuming it!
2. (Two weeks ago in my parish as reported to me by an eyewitness after Mass): Taking the Host and walking off with it, taking a bite out of it and keeping the remaining!
4. Spillage of the Precious Blood from the common chalice on the floor creating such a splatter that people walked over the Precious Blood unaware of the sacrilege
5. Particles of the Sacred Species remaining on the palms and fingers of communicants and nonchalantly discarded
What have you seen and why is the Magisterium so unconcerned about these happenings which never happens when Holy Communion is received kneeling and on the tongue??????
I am currently making plans to catechize my parish this Easter Season on the correct way to receive Holy Communion in the hand or on the tongue.