Translate

Sunday, February 19, 2023

I HELD A TENT REVIVAL AT THE COMPLEX WHERE I LIVE IN ACTIVE RETIREMENT…

 Actually it was a reception for owners of Seascapes Condos on Hilton Head Island, celebrating it 50th anniversary having been built in 1972. In that year, as a 19 and 20 year old, I would visit Hilton Head and friends I had here. I remember this complex being built never thinking that in 50 years I would actually be retired here. Hilton Head Island in 1972 was an insignificant location for some people to live and people in South Carolina and Georgia to go to the beach. In the 1960’s a ferry was replaced with a two lane swing bridge to get to the island. The main road was a two lane roads for the 10 miles from the north end to the south end of the island where I live. There are now two four lane highways to get from north to south. All the other roads were dirt roads. It may have had about 8,000 residents if that many.

Today there are almost 40,000 living on the island and 5 million people visiting annually. Hilton Head is in Beaufort County with three main population centers, Hilton Head, Bluffton and Beaufort and this county is exploding growth wise as a retirement Mecca. 




This couple is my next door neighbor. They live on Long Island and come down several times a year to visit their condo on Hilton Head:


This gentleman has owned in Seascapes since 1981. He’s 93 years old. He’s a member of Holy Family Church where I assist and on their Finance Council. His career was with the FBI and was a personal secretary to J. Edgar Hoover in the early 1960’s. He and his wife, still living too and in her 90’s have 11 children and 70 grand and great grandchildren!




1 comment:

ByzRus said...

The bottle on the table in the 4th photo looks remarkably like Yuengling Lager. Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and the pride of Pottsville, PA.

If that's what this is, I could now live in Hilton Head.