Translate

Saturday, April 30, 2022

I WOULD LOVE THIS AS A CIVIC AUDITORIUM BUT AS A CHURCH, I HAVE MIXED FEELINGS AND YES, I AM RELIEVED IT ISN’T A CATHOLIC CHURCH BUT METHODIST, BUT LET’S FACE IT, POST VATICAN II CHURCHES AND SANCTUARIES LOOK VERY PROTESTANT AND THIS COULD EASILY BE CATHOLIC BUT MERCIFULLY IT ISN’T…

 I like the stained glass and I like the arrangement. Imagine it was converted for Catholic use, but for the Ancient Roman Missal Mass with the traditional altar, altar railing and some nice statues, icons and murals. 




1 comment:

ByzRus said...

The interior isn't "bad". For the Roman liturgy, to me, it would require a bit of revamping as the shape of the sanctuary just isn't right. This leaves way to much wasted space that isn't useful. For the Eastern liturgy, the shape is right, just not the space. Generally, we don't have this many steps however, there are churches that do have them.

Now for the exterior. It looks like a hockey arena. To me, architects should try glorifying God, not themselves. To me, Western Christianity is undisciplined with its architecture. Not having a style, like what we in the East have, it ends up being a free-for-all with exteriors looking like nothing in particular. Aside from the blinky sign that is likely at the end of the driveway, there is nothing that distinguishes this building from any other that is civic in nature. That blurring, to me, is not establishing the desired attitude as soon as you hit the driveway. Not that I would expect the protestants to follow Eastern tradition, however, we have a theology of the building such that I'm preparing myself for what's about to take place within before I even open the front door. I suppose I just don't understand their "theology", or lack thereof.