Translate

Sunday, November 26, 2017

A STRIKING PROTESTANT COMMENT ON AD ORIENTEM WORSHIP


On the post below this, from the actual blog I copied the article is this most insightful comment. This Protestant must have read Pope Benedict:

Thanks for this post. I’m a strong proponent of this posture in worship and i completely agree: it speaks decisively about what we are doing and what the prayer leader’s position is among the assembly. 
Moreover, it is important to note that this is a cosmic symbol that goes beyond a simple table. The table is fine, but it needs to take its place among God’s creation and as a piece of our ‘turning toward’ Him in prayer and expectation of Jesus’ imminent return. Besides, no matter if people and prayer leader are facing the table together, they are still facing each other and the circle is closed. Jesus turns us out toward the Father and so it is fitting that the circle of prayer open outward toward the Father as well. 
As St. Paul said, “it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me” (Gal. 2:20). So it is that Augustine says that the Christian is another Christ in that he is called to imitate Jesus and be conformed to Him. And in prayer the one who leads us becomes another Christ so that, in and through Jesus, he turns us toward the Father in prayer. This is what the prayer leader does. In the Holy Spirit he focuses our prayer through Christ Jesus and to the Father. So, the symbolism of all facing the same direction (i.e. to the East), is Trinitarian in its foundations.

5 comments:

qwikness said...

Is it allowed to have the Extra-Ordinary Form in English? I think that I would like that.

Mordacil said...

This is my first year teaching RCIA. I joined the church in 2014 but I think I'm generally more knowledgeable about the faith than the average parishioner. I sent this message to our RCIA director ( an older deacon):

"I found that there will be a Latin mass at [a nearby diocesan parish] and I know at least a few of our RCIA candidates would be interested in participating in such a liturgy. I plan on attending and would like to extend an invitation to those who are interested in exploring that aspect of our catholic tradition."

He responded:

"Sorry, I'm really not a fan of the Latin Mass. I know [a certain candidate] may be interested in it. I will tell him."

I'm not sure how to feel about this or how to respond. I'm the new guy here but I was shocked to get shut down on something that I thought was so innocuous.

Anonymous said...


Not being a fan may not mean he that he hates it but that simply prefers the Ordinary form.

TJM said...

the "deacon" is unfit for his office and should be dismissed. Not a fan? What a moronic response

John Nolan said...

qwikness

According to SP, in a Low Mass the Epistle and Gospel may be in the vernacular, provided the translation is 'approved' - whatever that means. I have never come across it, although it might be an option for a priest whose Latin is adequate for the Ordinary but who is unused to the Vulgate.

Latin is in the DNA of the Roman Rite, and I, for one, would rather attend a Latin OF (which just about guarantees reverent celebration) than an ersatz Old Rite in mock-Tudor English. I'm not an Anglican, after all.