Pope announces 13 new Cardinals for the missionary ChurchAt the Angelus Pope Francis reads the names of those prelates who will receive the red hat on October 5th, the vigil of the Amazon Synod.
After reciting the Angelus in St Peter’s Square on Sunday, Pope Francis announced a consistory to be held on 5 October for the nomination of 10 new Cardinals. He said that the places where these new Cardinals come from express the missionary vocation of the Church as she continues to announce the merciful love of God to every person on earth.
The names of the new Cardinals are:
1. Bishop Miguel Angel Ayuso Guixot, mccj – President of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.
2. Archbishop José Tolentino Medonça – Archivist and Librarian of the Holy Roman Church
3. Archbishop Ignatius Suharyo Hardjoatmodjo – Archbishop of Jakarta
4. Archbishop Juan de la Caridad García Rodríguez – Archbishop de San Cristóbal of Havana
5. Archbishop Fridolin Ambongo Besungu, o.f.m. cap – Archbishop of Kinshasa
6. Archbishop Jean-Claude Höllerich, sj – Archbishop of Luxembourg
7. Bishop Alvaro L. Ramazzini Imeri – Bishop di Huehuetenamgo
8. Archbishop Matteo Zuppi – Archbishop of Bologna.
9. Archbishop Cristóbal López Romero, sdb – Archbishop of Rabat
10. Father Michael Czerny, sj – Undersecretary of the Migrants and Refugees Section of the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Development
Along with these new Cardinals, the Pope is adding two Archbishops and a Bishop who have served the Church in a distinguished way:
1. Archbishop Michael Louis Fitzgerald – Archbishop Emeritus of Nepte
2. Archbishop Sigitas Tamkevicius, sj – Archbishop Emeritus of Kaunas
3. Bishop Eugenio Dal Corso, psdp – Bishop Emeritus of Benguela
Let us pray for the new Cardinals so that, confirming their adhesion to Christ, they might help in my ministry as Bishop of Rome for the good of all the faithful Holy People of God.