Translate

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

I DARE ANYONE TO SAY THAT THIS MASS IS NOT THE MASS THAT VATICAN II AND CONCILIUM SOUGHT

 This Mass is for the Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist when it fell on a Sunday in 2012, ten full years ago.

This Mass has robust active/actual participation in speaking and singing, the propers are chanted, is is primarily in English but with some Latin. It has female lectors and altar servers. It has the common chalice for the laity and male and female Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. The permanent deacon, Don Coates, preaches the homily.

Perhaps a novelty for a thoroughly post Vatican II Mass is that the Asperges Me is celebrated as a prelude to the Mass and for the Liturgy of the Eucharist only, the Mass is ad orientem. 

Apart from that, the Introductory Rite and Concluding Rite are from the chair and the Liturgy of the Word at the ambo. 

I defy anyone to tell me this is not a throughly Post Vatican II Mass. I can’t even call it a “reform of the reform” but it is Vatican II’s reform in continuity. Make no mistake about that!

1 comment:

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Let me be the first to comment. I had forgotten that when the choir/congregation sing the Sanctus, I said it to myself, as in the EF and then launched into the Roman Canon in a low voice as the Sanctus was sung by the congregation. By the end of the Sanctus, I have prayed the Eucharistic Prayer to the point of the “Hanc Igitur.” Then I pray the rest of the Canon out loud, chanting the epiclesis and the words of consecration. What a fabulous way to honor Christ in the silent and spoken canon and to ad a sense of entering into the Holy of Holies during this awesome prayer.