Translate

Sunday, January 26, 2020

THOSE DANG PROGRESSIVE JESUITS EVEN IN 1922!!!!

I just had a comment on a post I had about Masses at St. Ignatius Church in Chicago in 1922! The commenter asked if I noticed the electric lamps on the altar with lampshades no less.

And no I did not notice these two lambshaded lamps which indeed are electric lamps.

I widened the photos and sure enough.

Keep in mind this is 1922 and maybe the lighting in the Church was very poor. I have seen light bulbs  affixed upon the six altar candlesticks in Rome and of course electrified, But I have never seen this before. If you look at these photos on an ipad or iPhone, you can widen it to see it along with the electric cord!

Cool for 1922:



1 comment:

Bob said...

well, the candles are indeed candles of proper type and number, and if they were inadequate to see and safely perform the Mass, in prior times no doubt extra candles or lantern/lamp would have been used, and electricity changed nothing regarding that.

Substituting electric lights for candles as is so common today, such as done by most churches in NYC, is objectionable to me, from an aesthetic point of view, while they see it as a fire safety and insurance cost thing...I say just keep the candles and if you need have a fancy daily checklist even signed off by multiple people, then do so....