Translate

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

POST VATICAN II MOMENTS FROM YOURS TRULY AT SAINT TERESA'S CHURCH, ALBANY, GEORGIA AROUND 1982 OR SO!

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus or better yet, Saint Nicholas. At the Family Christmas Vigial Mass in 1982, some two years after I was ordained a priest, I decided that my homily would include and interview with Saint Nicholas. Please note he is dressed as a Catholic Bishop and looks oh so authentic, no?

In my interview, I asked him what it was like to celebrate Mass, be a priest in general and what his relationship to Jesus and the Church was like. Then we went to the church's crèche scene and we all sang Silent Night, as I asked all to kneel, including Saint Nick! But before that, a lighted cake was brought out and we sang Happy Birthday to Jesus.

Yes, it was a post-Vatican II, spirit of Vatican II liturgy that many here will deride. I wish I could interview the kids at this Mass some 38 years later, most of them in the 40's, and ask if they still practice their faith and if that Christmas Mass was memorable to them.

What do you think?

What's stopping any priest to include me from doing this kind of homily at an EF Mass on Christmas? Of course, I'd have to take off my maniple and maybe chasuble, but it certainly resides in the arena of the possible, no?










3 comments:

Marc said...

“What's stopping any priest to include me from doing this kind of homily at an EF Mass on Christmas?”

The congregation.

I once heard a fellow say about our pastor’s sermon that “If I wanted to hear modernist nonsense like that I’d go to the Fraternity [the FSSP]. But at least we have valid priests.” In other words, I think our priests know that the people won’t tolerate absurdity passively.

I’ve seen some strange things at diocesan “traditional masses,” though. So I wouldn’t rule out stuff like this happening in some places. God bless the SSPX.

Anonymous said...

Bee here:

I don't know Fr. McD. It seems so gimmicky. Great if what you did was some kind of Christmas show in the church hall...but for Mass...? Nah.

Being around the same age as you are, Fr. McD, I remember around 1980 or so having a friend who was also my roommate, who never was baptized, but was interesting in Catholicism. That year besides other decorations, we put up a banner outside, "Happy Birthday, Jesus!" (She ended up going through RCIA and was baptized a Catholic.)

The following year, the Holy Spirit took over, and by some epiphany, (literally, I guess) I became aware that Christmas was the Feast of the Incarnation. And to this day, THAT has made all the difference.

Singing Happy Birthday to Jesus, I think, trivializes the feast. I still become overwhelmed when I ponder the words "...et verum caro factum est...", ("...and the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, the glory of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.")

Merry Christmas.
God bless all of you.
Bee

Anonymous said...

Not that it matters, but I notice that usually St. Nicholas is dressed in Roman Rite vestments including miter when he was actually of the Byzantine Rite and should be dressed accordingly. Anyway, adding secular-related stuff like having Santa Claus at the Mass cheapens it, IMHO.