Translate

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

EF AND OF COMMITMENTS


I was at my dentist today. Dr. Felix Maher also is the MC for the EF Mass our our Cathedral-Basilica in downtown Savannah. He makes sure everything runs smoothly. As a layman, he exemplifies Vatican II's desire that the laity take an actual and leadership role in the Church and her liturgy.

As he was preparing my two back molars for crowns, we were having a discussion as the squealing of the drill pierced our ears, especially mine. We were discussing the pandemic shut down of our Masses and the fear that many Catholics would not return to Mass since the obligation was removed and still is.

However, at the Cathedral Basilica's 1 PM Sunday EF High Mass, the numbers have returned in full force and increased even though the OF numbers have still plummeted and not returned to pre-pandemic numbers.

We agreed amidst all the drilling, scraping and dental harassment that EF Catholics are more committed to their faith and Mass attendance. It isn't for them a convivial meal, but the one Sacrifice of Christ renewed in a glorified, beautiful way, an unbloody way. It isn't something you can take or leave even if you don't plan to participate in the Sacrificial Banquet, the reception of Holy Communion by the laity.

I thought as he and I were having this discussion while drilling my teeth, taking impressions and the like, that our discussion was very insightful.

8 comments:

Bee said...

Bee here,

I don't envy you, Fr. McD...crowns on back molars! I have one or two, and it is not a fun time. Besides the fact you can't talk, even though the dentist may be saying very interesting and conversational things.

For me, I went back to Mass at the first opportunity. I sincerely believe Jesus Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, and I longed to once again be in His presence, at the sacrifice. Being away, even though I watched live stream Masses, cut me to the heart.

I realized I have become extremely dependent on being present at the Holy Mass. Even if I do not receive, it is being there that matters, though I do long for communion with Him. It was painful not to be able to attend, especially during Holy Week and on Easter. It made me consider those who either because of lack of priests, or because of political oppression cannot attend weekly Mass. What a great gift of abundance we have in this country, that we are still able to attend Mass. I will never again take that wonderful blessing for granted, knowing how painful it is to be deprived of it.

I don't really have a preference for the EF Mass or the NO Mass. The NO Mass is so much "easier" though....like Mass lite. The EF Mass, because of the Latin, and the complexity of the prayers, it takes much more effort to stay focused on praying and what is happening at the altar in order to participate fully with mind and heart. But what is critical to me is that whatever the form, the priest is serious and wholly focused on what he is doing, that is, offering a Sacrifice to God the Almighty Father.

It's funny, but even with limited seating at St. John Cantius I see a lot of new faces for the Low EF Mass on Sunday. I suspect some of the people who used to come still don't feel comfortable about coming back, worried for their health, and others, who perhaps watched online during the closings, decided they HAD to come there. We sign up, but still, you have to get there much earlier than usual (a half hour or so) in order to get a seat near the front.

God bless.
Bee





Peter Pence said...

“ I thought as he and I were having this discussion while drilling my teeth, taking impressions and the like, that our discussion was very insightful.”

Yeah, that was probably the novocaine!

Anonymous said...

If I am fortunate enough to make it to heaven, will I be able to forego dental visits?!?

Paul McCarthy said...

Father I committed during this mass hysteria that I would never attend the Novus Ordo or your OF on a Sunday again and I’ve stuck to it so far and I’ve wondering who Dr. Maher was and how impressed my wife and I have been with how he keeps the mass flowing so well. So now I have a name to a face and he’s right the Latin mass on Sunday is outnumbering the 10 AM mass so I wonder how long it is before the enemy begins to suppress the Latin mass or your EF. By the way how can it be extraordinary mass when extraordinary ministers at a Novus ordo mass is well normal??

God Bless Dr. Maher for his service to God and the Traditional Latin Mass community of Savannah. He not my dentist but he might be soon.

rcg said...

This is a hilarious post. I hope the comments about pain are, ah, tongue in cheek.

Anonymous said...

So great to hear your EF Mass is booming during this time and yes we TLM folks truly love and need our Holy Mass to save our souls, keep it going Father.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Maher is a credit to the Church, a genuinely good person.

Pimpbot said...

Dr. Maher is indeed a good man and one of the Catholic treasures of Savannah