Translate

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

THIS IS HOW THE PRE-VATICAN II (EXTRAORDINARY FORM) RITE OF BAPTISM OF INFANTS INCORPORATED THE VERNACULAR

 


This allowance for the vernacular in a sacramental celebration prior to Vatican II could have been the template for doing so for the Mass, prior to Vatican II and the EF today. Allowing for this indeed would make the EF Mass go viral throughout the world, instead of being a "boutique" Mass:

Participation Guide 

When only English is provided, the priest will pray in English.When both Latin and English are provided, the priest will pray in Latin:

You can view the PDF of the EF Rite of Baptism of Infants by pressing this sentence.

My only concern, in the Covid 19 age and any other age, is that I must place my sputum on the ears, nostrils and tongue of the child. Am I dispensed from this peculiar and for some disgusting gesture?  I can remember when I was child that my Protestant proselytizing friends would tell me that the priest in my mouth when he baptized me. I was shocked by this anti Catholic statement only to find out that the priest did do that to me! O my!

Scrupulous EF liturgists must give me advice on the  sputum and if I can dispense myself from doing so.  

1 comment:

John Nolan said...

Fr McDonald

The Rituale Romanum, Titulus II Caput 2 n.13 (Ordo Baptismi Parvulorum) enjoins the priest to take saliva with his thumb and touch the ears and nostrils of the infant, NOT the tongue. Earlier in the ceremony he has placed a small amount of blessed salt (modicum salis benedicti) into the mouth of the child (in os infantis).

In 1944 Pius XII modified the rubric concerning the use of saliva by inserting the following: '...quod omittitur quotiescumque rationabilis adest causa munditiei tuendae aut periculum morbi contrahendi vel propagandi'. My translation: '... which is omitted as long as there is present a reasonable cause for preserving hygiene or a danger of contracting or spreading disease'.

The term 'EF' applies to the Missal, not the Ritual. Priests may use the older Rituale if they wish. Many consider the new rite of baptism unsatisfactory, not to mention the controversial 'Book of Blessings'.

The link you provide would appear to incorporate revisions to the rite dating from the 1960s.