Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2020

I KNOW IT IS OCTOBER, BUT I MUST CONFESS THIS FREAKS ME OUT NOT JUST A LITTLE BIT

 Okay, I am a victim of a culture that does not value the relics of saints when it is their entire body or a piece of their body. I guess this saint to be is “incorruptible.” It is one thing to venerate an incorruptible saint who died centuries ago or like, St. Padre Pio, died in old age. I have seen both St. Pio and St. Clare.

But this young boy died at 15 and in 2006. I suspect his parents are still living and siblings or other relatives? I would find viewing my “sons” body so many years after he died a bit jarring to say the least. 

Yes, this freaks me out, but God bless him and his beatification. 

Body of Carlo Acutis On Display for Veneration Ahead of Beatification


Acutis, who died of leukemia in 2006 at the age of 15, was known for his computer-programming skills, and love of the Eucharist and the Virgin Mary.

Carlo Acutis’ tomb is opened for public veneration in Assisi, Italy, Oct. 1, 2020.
Carlo Acutis’ tomb is opened for public veneration in Assisi, Italy, Oct. 1, 2020. (photo: Courtesy photos / Diocese of Assisi)

ASSISI, Italy — The tomb of Venerable Carlo Acutis was opened for public veneration Thursday ahead of the computer-programming teen’s beatification. 

Read the rest there with more photos.

6 comments:

ByzRus said...

Fr. AJM,

I have to agree with you, I would find this to be difficult if I were a member of his immediate family. Perhaps if his remains were considered to be relics, my viewpoint might be different. I am not familiar with his story but, as Pope Francis suggests, perhaps this will be relatable to younger Catholics that are not bothered by the physical display.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

I had considered linking the National Catholic Register story to our parish Facebook page and my own Facebook page. The article has more photos of the soon to be beatified saint. But I think the photos can be disturbing to many especially since I myself, and a priest, quite use to death, am disturbed by them. One photo in the article has his mother in front of her son. I just find it peculiar but again, we are speaking of a saint and venerating him. He has Nike sneakers on as well!!!! I guess that will appeal to youth, but I have a hang up about this.

ByzRus said...

Thinking more about it, the sacred and the secular seem to be colliding here. One usually thinks of these types of displays with relics being vested in some way. It's challenging to reconcile in one's own head because of that - at least for me, perhaps for others as well. But, this evidently was his usual dress, how he walked through his life's journey. Covering his feet with a blanket would likely lessen any possible focus on footwear unless, that emphasis is in some way critical. I'm not trying to judge or, be critical, just understand.

Tom Makin said...

I believe I read last night on Aleteia that he was exhumed and found not to be incorruptible but rather, intact..whatever that means. In other words he was corrupted and has been made to look incorruptible for viewing purposes. Even more strange. www.aleteia.org

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

I think my biggest hang up is how recent his death was, 2006, and all his close relatives still living. If 100 years had passed I would not have such a visceral negative reaction.

Anonymous said...

A spokeswoman for Acutis’ beatification told CNA that the entire body was present, but “not incorrupt.” “Today we … see him again in his mortal body. A body that has passed, in the years of burial in Assisi, through the normal process of decay, which is the legacy of the human condition after sin has removed it from God, the source of life. But this mortal body is destined for resurrection,” Archbishop Domenico Sorrentino of Assisi said at a Mass at the opening of the tomb Oct. 1.

The bishop explained that Acutis’ body was “reassembled with art and love.”

I am reminded of Don Vito Corleone's request to the mortician regarding the preparations of his son Sonny's body.... "“I want you to use all your powers — and all your skills. I don’t want his mother to see him this way.”