Translate

Monday, July 2, 2012

OH THE GLORY! SAINT JOSEPH CHURCH'S ORDINARY FORM MASS FOR THE SOLEMNITY OF THE NATIVITY OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST WITH EXTRAORDINARY SENSIBILITIES

ANOTHER IN OUR REFORM OF THE REFORM OF THE ORDINARY FORM OF THE MASS AT SAINT JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH, MACON, GEORGIA (USA).

It's finally here folks, the video of our Extraordinary Ordinary Form of the Mass for the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist.Many thanks to Mr. Lovel Miguel for formatting this for the internet and for Mr. Steve Mastrangelo for filming it.

This is our normal 12:10 pm Sunday Mass for the Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist on June 29, 2012. Our Men's Schola leads the chanting.

We used the Extraordinary Form of the Rite of Sprinkling as a prelude to the Mass. It is an Ordinary Form Mass with most of it in English except for the Propers and the chanted parts by the Schola and congregation.

Deacon Donald Coates is the homilist. Our deacons preach the last Sunday of each month and this is quite good!

The Liturgy of the Eucharist is Ad Orientem. Please note the option for kneeling or standing to receive the Sacred Host.

Many thanks to Ms. Nelda Chapman our Music Director (Choir Director and Organist) and to our Men's Schola with Mr. Beau Palmer and Charles Nolan as our primary cantors!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why the elevation at the Fraction of the Host? I asked this previously, but I think I missed the answer, and I can't remember where I asked it!

Marc

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

It's Ordinary Form liberties in an extraordinary way. I've always felt that the fraction rite needs some visibility in the Ad Orientem form of the Ordinary Form--my 1970's sensibilities, but as we all know the oldest name for the Mass is the "Breaking of the Bread" so shouldn't that be a powerful visible symbol?

Anonymous said...

I agree with the idea and surmised that was your intent. My hyper-scrupulosity with so-called "Particle theology" made my heart stop when I saw it, though!

But, you know the make up of those hosts and how they break better than I and I know you are equally aware of and sensitive to any potential "Particle" issue.

It is a powerful symbol. I find the placing of the small particle in the chalice a mighty symbol as well - the Resurrection, a glorious thing! Our Lord really knew what he was doing at that first Mass!

Thanks for answering my query!

Marc

ytc said...

I think I would die if I had such a Mass every Sunday.

I love how nonchalant you were about saying, "We may see it [ad orientem] more in the future..."

Overall I do think this was a true liturgical gem as far as the Ordinary Form is concerned. The Mass was "proportioned" well is what I will say; I can't come up with a better way of saying it than that.

I think, ritually anyway, I like this Mass better than the other ROTR one you had a few months ago. The music (Schubert's Mass) was better--but I am NOT complaining about the Gregorian setting in this one--but ritually this one was more substantial. The text was balanced well with physical action. Ritual is something that is generally lacking in the OF.

Richard said...

Hi Father, read you blog each morning. You're good. Here is what I think you need to do to the interior of your beautiful church.

1. Get an architect to fiqure out how you can install an altar rail. The present steps leading to the altar need to be cut down or reconfigured somehow so that no seating is lost.

2. Get rid of the Crammer table in front of the main altar. Stop using the main altar as a plant stand. (too many flowers too)

3. Purchase two white marble statues to fit into the empty niches on the right and left side of the main altar.

4. The baptismal font needs to be relocated to a specific area set aside for baptism. Remember baptisim is a rite of entrance into the Church. Hope I havent offended you. Just my thoughts.