Translate

Saturday, July 29, 2023

THE INTRODUCTORY AND CONCLUDING RITES OF THE MODERN MASS: TO PODIUM OR NOT TO PODIUM; THAT IS THE QUESTION

At Mass in the pope's chapel of the Vatican Motel 6, Pope Francis uses a podium for the Introductory and Concluding Rites of the Mass. This podium, is too tall for my tastes but the podium design is what I would prefer, just lower:


I will admit, I am conflicted. I am seeing more and more a podium placed in front of the celebrant’s cathedra for the Roman Missal to be placed upon it for the Introductory and concluding rites of the Modern Mass, rather than to have an altar server hold the missal.

More and more, I think I would prefer a discreet tasteful podium, meaning not something to overpowering of the priest’s cathedral and not drawing too much attention to itself over an altar server holding the book for me.

So often, when an altar server holds the book, they don’t keep the book still, don’t have it within the parameters of my bi-focal glasses or they are bigger than I am, stand directly in front of me and their backside is all that the people in the nave see. 

Oh, the humanity of it all! I think I prefer a podium to a person! What do you think?







3 comments:

ByzRus said...

Some Roman Churches have started performing the introductory rites from the altar which, to me, makes sense.

I do prefer this to the emphasis given to the chair and all the crap that seems to now surround it as you've noted.

As to the podium, I'm more in the HF's camp, despite having progressive lenses, I need print to be closer to more easily find where my progressives need to be. I would struggle with the book laid flat upon the altar unless the print was large and bold.

TJM said...

ByzRus,

My former and current pastor, both of them in their mud thirties and who celebrate the TLM, say the introductory prayers at the altar for Novus Ordo Masses.

Православный физик said...

I would lean towards the podium...Usually the podium or stand is draped by a cloth, which I think would help in this situaiton.