Translate

Sunday, July 30, 2023

9TH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST AT SAVANNAH’S SACRED HEART CHURCH—YOURS TRULY CELEBRANT!

 A weekend in the life of an itinerant priest: Saturday 5 pm Vigil Mass at Holy Family Church, Hilton Head Island; 7 AM Mass at St. Gregory the Great Church, Bluffton; 1 pm Mass at Sacred Heart Church, Savannah. Holy Family which seats about 1,000 was almost full, but 3/4ths of the people were tourists to HHI. The 7 AM Mass at St. Gregory’s seats about 800 and it was mostly full with mostly parishsioners, a handful of visitors. The 1 PM Traditional Latin Mass at Sacred Heart is almost full with people from all over who are traditionalists and prefer the ancient Latin Mass over the modern vernacular Mass developed in the mid 1960’s.

On top of all of this I have to prepare two separate homilies for this Sunday.

 I love being retired!

These photos are from Sunday’s 9th Sunday after Pentecost:













5 comments:

ByzRus said...

It's like finally being free to do the job you love without having the bills, finicky boilers and mortgage to worry about. Priesthood in its purest form.

TJM said...

ByzRus,

So true!

rcg said...

I wondered as I looked at the pictures if you homilies have gotten longer with retirement. 🤔

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

My homilies are very short in retirement. I was never very long, 12 minutes at the most. Now I’m about 5 to 6 minutes. I get more comments now about how good my homilies are (and I did yesterday too). They said they are concise, to the point and short. They really love SHORT!

ByzRus said...

Homilies that drag on are a recipe for people to start tuning it out.

It's unfortunate, but, it's part of the human condition.

There's nothing that makes an audience more antsy than when the speaker says "I will be giving 4 examples of "x". First....zzzzz."