Translate

Sunday, July 9, 2023

HOLY FAMILY REUNION BATMAN

 On Saturday, July 8, I celebrated the Sunday Vigil Mass for Deacon Don and Mrs. Pat McArdle’s family reunion, the 11th in a row! They have 9 children, all now married and all still practicing Catholics. Between the 9 married children there are about 42 grand and great grandchildren. 

Deacon Don was one of the deacons at my priestly ordination in 1980. He was ordained a permanent deacon the year prior in 1979. He was one of the five deacons at the Church of the Most Holy Trinity in Augusta, when I was assigned the pastor there in 1991.

Deacon Don and his son Eric, are the founders of Catholic Stewardship Consultants with parishes throughout the USA to include Hawaii, not sure about Alaska, who are trying to implement the stewardship way of life or discipleship. 

Here’s the Mass at their daughter and son-in-law’s beach home on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and a casual photo of yours truly:
















Here's the whole clan before some had to leave:



6 comments:

TJM said...

Looks like a magnificent family and it is wonderful they have all remained in the Faith. I am curious if the Diocese has published guidance on Masses in the home? Are there permissions to be obtained?

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

I am not aware that either my diocese or Charleston where I have facilities have a policy. My own opinion is that home amassed should be safe, legal and rare.

Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

Masses! Dang spellcheck!

TJM said...

Safe, legal and rare. LOL

Hey, you could have made this a teaching moment and celebrated ad orientem!

I organized a home Mass just once for my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary with a renewal of vows because my beloved mother-in-law was suffering from end stage bone cancer and we all wanted her to be comfortable. Well she fooled us and made it to their 50th!

Sophia said...

Sophia here: This is an absolute joy to behold! What a day brightener- especially after just having seen the subject of your blog entry below in my daily NCR email! May God continue to richly bless this wonderful family for many, many years to come and may you continue to have the distinct pleasure and honor of saying this annual reunion Mass for them! Thank you so much for sharing this!

rcg said...

That looks wonderful. I bet the children are especially impressed