Translate

Sunday, September 2, 2018

WOW! AND IN THE ARCHDIOCESE OF ATLANTA

I Stood Up in Mass and Confronted My Priest. You Should, Too.

Catholics should not keep on filling the pews every Sunday. It is wrong to support the church.
By Naka Nathaniel

Mr. Nathaniel is a former editor and videographer at The New York Times.

  • CreditCreditTerry Vine & J Patrick Lane/Blend Images, via Getty Images

  • ATLANTA — Last Sunday, I did something that no properly raised Catholic ever does. I stood up in the middle of Mass and called out the priest.

    As the priest began his homily, I drew my 9-year-old son closer and asked him to pay close attention. Days before, a Pennsylvania grand jury had released a damning report detailing decades of horrific child sex abuse by clergymen and a church culture that covered it up
    .
    The priest addressed the report. He said he was surprised that people showed up for that day’s service. He said the church had to change. Then he began to move on. 

    I couldn’t help myself. I stood up and yelled out: “Father!” He turned. I asked him, simply: “How?”
    He responded that I should write to the nuncio, the pope’s representative in the United States. I told him that this was a bureaucratic answer. 

    Standing in front of the congregation, I pointed to my son and asked how could I ever let him make his first Communion. 

    As the priest answered, I became aware of the other families around me. I knew so many of them, and I was reminded of how I had always felt so at home at Mass. It always gave me such pride when my family would take up most of a pew in church.

    Now I’m angry. I feel betrayed.

    Susan Reynolds, a Catholic theologian from nearby Emory University, witnessed the exchange. She tweeted about it, and her recounting went viral. 

    I wouldn’t exist without Catholicism. My parents’ interracial marriage was condoned by their families because they shared the religion. I was an altar boy and attended Catholic school. I played church-organized youth sports, and I was an Eagle Scout in the parish troop.

    I attended Mass regularly while in college. Later, working as a journalist, it was a big thrill to cover Pope John Paul II’s visit to New York in 1995. My non-Catholic wife and I were married in Holy Spirit Catholic Church in San Antonio. 

    In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, I naturally turned to the church for solace. But on the following Sunday, to my surprise, none of the church leaders at Mass acknowledged what had just happened. I was deflated and left feeling empty. Soon after, the sexual abuse scandal erupted.

    The repugnant stories of abuse touched my peers. I blamed the clergy. My wife and I moved abroad, and I stopped attending Mass regularly. But as I traveled in the developing world, I was proud to see Catholic missionaries working in the most desperate situations driven by our shared faith. I have still occasionally felt the pull of Sunday Mass. 

    It was the church’s own teachings that made me stand up on Sunday and question the priest. Catholics are taught that it’s imperative to help others. We are told to protect the innocent. The church has profoundly failed to abide by these basic principles by allowing the sins of sexual abuse to continue. 

    Aside from my family, two institutions helped form my character: the Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts. Both organizations encouraged me to stand up for what is right and to use our strength to aid those in need. 

    On Father’s Day 2012, with those lessons in mind, I wrote an op-ed and went on television calling on the Boy Scouts to drop their antigay policies. I hated that the Scouts had won a Supreme Court case in 2000 that let them exclude gay scouts and leaders. 

    Just before my son was old enough to join the Scouts, the head of the organization, Robert Gates, ended the unjust prohibitions against gay members, just as he had done as secretary of defense. I enthusiastically signed up my son and became cub master of our local pack.

    I’m not someone to quit and run. I’m proud that I spoke out against the injustice of the Scouts and helped instigate change from inside an organization that had lost its way.

    In a letter on Monday to the congregation, Father Mark Horak, the Jesuit priest I confronted, wrote: “If you love the church, remain within and work for its fundamental reform.”

    But the church can’t be changed from the inside. It has already tried that.

    Ms. Reynolds has become the lead author on a letter calling for the American bishops to resign. I’m glad that my actions inspired her. I hope the rest of the flock heeds her call.

    But we should go further and demand that every ordained member of the Catholic Church resign, including the pope. If any other organization had covered up the rampant sexual abuse of children, the government would rightly shut it down. Why should the Catholic Church be any different?

    I’m mad at the church administration, as I was in 2002. But now I’m also angry at the congregation. I’m upset with the people who aren’t demanding that every member of the clergy resign.
    Catholics cannot keep on filling the pews every Sunday. It is wrong to support the church.

    At the end of last Sunday’s service, before the recessional, the priest stopped us and kindly told my son that he had a good dad. Then the father looked at me and said the most honest thing I’ve ever heard in a church: “You and I have no influence.”

    He was right. And if congregants like me have no influence, and if parents like me no longer feel safe and comfortable bringing our sons and daughters to make Communion, then the Catholic Church is beyond redemption.

    Naka Nathaniel is a former editor and videographer at The New York Times.

    21 comments:

    60's Survivor said...

    "Standing in front of the congregation, I pointed to my son and asked how could I ever let him make his first Communion."

    This is where the payoff comes for the modernists in the Church who hate Tradition. The crisis will give the laity their excuse to raise their children outside the Church.

    Any Catholic raised in the pre Vatican II Church would know that the sacraments are valid regardless of how unworthy the priest might be.

    I am also sick of hearing everyone talk about suspecting priests, since such a small number of priests were engaged in abuse. The problem is with the bishops! They run the Lavender Mafia. They promote priests. They created this sick subculture of secrecy. And they let their priests take the heat while they live in air conditioned comfort, far from the noisy rabble.

    Fr. Allan J. McDonald said...

    I agree !

    Anonymous said...

    It is time to hand the keys of the kingdom over to the SSPX and other Traditionalist orders and clergy to reform and rebuild the Church. The Vatican II New Mass church is dead.

    Victor said...

    This was extremely rude not only to God for whose worship everyone was there, but very unfair to the priest who may have been more innocent of sin than this person (jerk) was. Sounds like he already had a problem with Church teaching and used the scandals as pretext for leaving when he could not affect changes according to his ideas. "It always gave me such pride..."; yep, his total attitude suggests one of pride.

    TJM said...

    The author is such a drama queen. Throwing the baby out with the bath water. But I notice the "jouralist" works for Hell's Bible, so no surprise.

    Anonymous said...

    "ROME - Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, the former nuncio to the United States who called on Pope Francis to resign for allegedly lifting sanctions placed on Archbishop Theodore E. McCarrick, now says those “sanctions” were “private” and neither he nor now-retired Pope Benedict XVI was ever able to enforce them."

    "Vigano now says Benedict made the sanctions private, perhaps “due to the fact that he (Archbishop McCarrick) was already retired, maybe due to the fact that he (Pope Benedict) was thinking he was ready to obey.”

    https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2018/09/01/former-nuncio-now-says-sanctions-against-mccarrick-were-private/

    A PA Priest said...

    Calls like this are unreasonable, and faithful Catholics need to reject them out of hand.

    The author is calling for every bishop, priest, and deacon, no matter when ordained and no matter what connection or lack thereof they have to the abuse to tender a resignation from office. First, he wrongly assumes every cleric has an office to resign from (I assure you, 80 year old retired Fr. Fill-In who says Mass when the pastor is away does not).

    Beyond this, what does this actually accomplish... what is the real goal here? What the author asks for is an act of virtue signaling... a symbolic action that does nothing to actually remedy the crisis. At best it creates further turmoil in an already-fragile Church. At worst, it exacerbates the problem by allowing a selective acceptance of resignations; in dioceses where the bishop IS corrupt, it gives him a simple vehicle to silence good priests through removal or reinstatement to a parishes where they can’t be a “problem”, allowing those who caused the crisis to further entrench themselves. (The same risk holds with the selective acceptance of bishops’ resignations by the Pope... remember that the Pope could accept Cardinal Wuerl’s already-tendered resignation today if he wished... yet he has not.)

    If the analogy of the BSA is any indicator, the real motive seems to be for the Fascist Left to recreate the Church in their own image, not to provide any real reform. The author avoided BSA until it met his (progressive) standards, and now it is not only “acceptable” but he has also joined as a leader (where he has power and influence). Yet his call is not one of leadership... it is one of revolution.

    The People of God deserve more than empty virtue signaling from their clergy. No resignation from me... no matter how much the radicals scream.

    Anonymous said...



    "And if congregants like me have no influence, and if parents like me no longer feel safe and comfortable bringing our sons and daughters to make Communion, then the Catholic Church is beyond redemption. "

    This person by this statement shows himself as a donatist. He also by his statement comes through as a modernist.

    So this person demands that EVERY ordained member of the Catholic Church resigns, including the pope.

    And if they don't?

    The Catholic Theologian at Emory has invited Catholic theologians, educators and lay leaders to sign an open letter inviting All U.S. bishops to submit their resignations.

    And if they don't?

    Anonymous said...

    Bee here:

    I'm having a little trouble following the logic of this article.

    So this guy is mad at the Boy Scouts for not allowing gay leaders but mad at the Church for covering up gay homosexual abuse of boys....??? He fell away over the revealing of clergy abuse in the early 2000's, and now he wants every clergy member to resign?

    And this guy is a Catholic?

    Sounds like he thinks he belongs to a political organization that should reflect his worldly beliefs and values. I wonder what would happen to him if he was truly catechized and knew the truths he would have to accept based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Bet there is lots of stuff in that he just couldn't in good conscience accept, and he'd fall away again.

    That Church he belongs to is a far cry from the true faith. I hope ALL of this kind of stuff comes to light. But who knows? Maybe the Lord will allow another time of mercy in hopes the Church will straighten up and fly right. Time will tell.

    God bless.
    Bee





    rcg said...

    The guy in the article sounds like a drama queen who doesn’t know why he goes to Mass. it isn’t to worship the priest and he can read for himself.

    Gene said...

    If there was an SSPX Church close to me I would go there. As it is, I am sick and tired of half-assed, perfunctory celebrations of the post Vat II Mass. I have been to a number of Catholic Churches over the past ten years ( I became Catholic in '07) and all but two of these Masses have been just awful. This, along with all the drama and political nonsense that is a constant litany in the Church, leads me to believe that Luther was correct...a vast structure and hierarchy such as the Church has is a fertile field for abuse, heresy, and political entanglements. I also remain convinced that Calvin's TULIP theology (which he took largely from Augustine) is more Biblically based than much of Catholic theology, which leans toward humanism and Pelagianism. So, I am having a real struggle. I have been attending a Methodist Church, but am having to re-accomodate myself to the informality...which, by the way, the OF has prepared me for very well. The Methodists do say the Creeds, the Our Father, the Glory Be, and the Great Amen, as well as the mystery of the faith at Communion, which is by intinction where I am going. Methodists have never been known for their theology, but their doctrine is largely Calvinist. I do not care for women preachers or their ridiculous mission statement about "saving the world," but I like singing the old protestant hymns. So, I am still in a quandary while prayerfully seeking some peace with all this.

    Anonymous said...

    "...leads me to believe that Luther was correct..."

    He wasn't.

    "...a vast structure and hierarchy such as the Church has is a fertile field for abuse...

    And abuse NEVER happens in stand alone congregations with no hierarchy whatsoever.

    "I also remain convinced that Calvin's TULIP theology (which he took largely from Augustine) is more Biblically based than much of Catholic theology,..."

    But, but, but, when you entered the Catholic Church you SAID, "I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God."

    TULIP theology is not part of what the Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims.

    You will remain in a quandary until you get over the desire to be a part of a Church that is made in your image and likeness.

    Anonymous said...

    Gene, no matter where you go, you’re not going to find perfect this side of heaven. Just sayin’...

    Henry said...

    "Gene, no matter where you go, you’re not going to find perfect this side of heaven."

    But if you go to a traditional Latin Mass, it may seem perfect. Indeed, though the purpose of authentic Catholic liturgy is worship of God rather than your edification, it may also lift you up to heaven. Truly beautiful liturgy tends to have that effect.

    Anonymous said...

    I couldn’t agree more, Henry, but some of us have no access to a weekly TLM. Here locally, of five local RC churches, only one offers the TLM once monthly, and only for the past year.

    rcg said...

    If there is a schism it may end up more of an eviction. One or the other group must be made to leave because if one simply rejects the Church they lose validity.

    Carol H. said...

    Gene,

    I hope you will at least attend the EF Mass at 2:00 pm on the last Sunday of the month.

    Hello, and I hope you are well to the anonymous Squeaker Lamb!

    Michael A said...

    The only thing new in the abuse story is the actions of the current pope. I'm not sure why people have been suckered into reacting to this recycled story brought to us by a low life liberal Penn AG. We have all known these issues for decades; Predatory priests protected by corrupt liberal bishops is a story about which I wrote a letter to the editor in my local paper back in 1990.

    The new stuff is much more interesting and shines a spotlight on exactly what the historical problem always was. What could be better than to catch the liberal pope backing his liberal bishops and promoting his buddies based on the recommendations of a heretical cardinal. The players are different but the playbook is the same.

    No priest should at this point feel compelled to address anything about "the abuse story". Homosexual wolves are no longer preying on the flocks as they did. The story is all about our pope who did promise us that his papacy would be a short one. Maybe for once he'll be right about something?

    BTW: If I couldn't find a satisfactory Catholic Church to attend you'd never find me inside any protestant building. Makes no sense to me. I can discover heresy all by my lonesome, I need no help.

    Gene said...

    RE: TULIP

    Catholic theology is a pretty large umbrella and there is a sort of continuum of theological thinking. For instance, Total Depravity is Augustinian. Augustine is a Father of the Church. In theological circles, we often argue about just how "total" the depravity is, but everyone agrees on Original Sin. So, it isn't cut and dried. Unconditional salvation we pretty much agree upon. Limited Atonement..no disagreement there, except that Catholics do not care for the substitutionary Atonement theology of most protestant doctrine. Irresistable Grace...this is pure Calvin, but certainly it is a quandary for Catholics and protestants. Most want to discuss it as a philosophical issue rather than a theological one...e.g. "If God's will (grace) can be resisted by men, then He is not all powerful, is he?" It is best discussed in the context of election. Perseverance of the Saints is a similar issue, usually posed as "Can one fall from grace?" Again, if one can, indeed, fall from grace then man's sin is more powerful than God's sustaining grace, isn't it? This is another issue that is often discussed from a philosophical, rather than a theological. perspective, producing often sophomoric statements. This is another point that should be discussed in the context of election and God's perfect but permissive will. Finally, protestantism is not heresy... mainline protestant churches are creedal churches, Trinitarian, and Biblically sound. If I were Catholic today, I'd be really careful about hollering heresy...n'est ce pas?

    Anonymous said...

    Re: Total Depravity

    The Council of Trent rejected the doctrine of total depravity. The Council taught the contrary, that free will was only weakened, not taken away, by original sin: "although free will, attenuated as it was in its powers, and bent down, was by no means extinguished in them." (Decree on Justification, Chapter I.)

    Re: Unconditional Salvation

    Roman Catholic teaching, correctly understood, implies that salvation is unconditional in one sense, and conditional in another sense. Salvation is not simply and wholly unconditional, no matter what version of 'unconditional election' is used

    Re: Limited Atonement rejected by Trent


    "This disposition, or preparation, is followed by Justification itself, which is not remission of sins merely, but also the sanctification and renewal of the inward man, through the voluntary reception of the grace, and of the gifts, whereby man of unjust becomes just, and of an enemy a friend, that so he may be an heir according to hope of life everlasting

    Re: Perseverance of the Saints

    It is a serious doctrinal error, entirely incompatible with Catholic teaching on salvation and free will, to claim that God chooses to predestine some persons to initial salvation, but not to final salvation. In the Catholic view, predestination thoroughly incorporates, and always hinges upon, free will. If God were to choose, simply and absolutely, to give some persons 'initial salvation,' but not 'final salvation,' then God would be unjust. Although this type of claim appeals to the 'good will' of God as the sole reason for such a choice, there is no tenable explanation as to why it would be good, in any sense of the word, for God to choose, apart from free will, to deny someone final salvation.


    Gene said...

    Total Depravity and Free Will are separate, but related, issues. It is an Augustinian quandary. You should read De Trinitate.

    Unconditional Salvation: In what sense is it conditional? How is that not Pelagian?

    Limited Atonement: The Catholic view is based upon the aforementioned "faculty" for disposition toward God and salvation. Calvin rejected that and so do I.

    Perseverance of the Saints..A difficult doctrine, I admit. But, there is a real conflict between the Catholic view of free will and the protestant view. Again, the protestant view is more in line with Augustine, "Our wills are not truly free until they are enslaved to the will of God." We either live in harmony with God's will or we do not. Since, by nature, we are incapable of doing so, election, predestination, and the doctrine of God's perfect and permissive will come into play.

    Again, these are primarily theological discussions and not doctrinal ones. Good Catholics, protestants as well, accept the established doctrines of the Church despite whatever questions or difficulties they may have with them. The theologian's prayer is the same as the ultimate sinner's prayer, "Lord, I believe; help thou my unbelief."